GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a suburban yesterday... its a 99. Vortec v8 4l80e. No chipped key. I drove the truck home, but shortly into the ride, lost 3rd and 4th, so at this point the drive took forever at about 40 mph. Got home and tinkered checked all the transmission connections googled about solenoids etc. Well I checked a few more wired, made sure my shifter cable was acting right brought it for a test drive, same problem, parked it.

About 2 hours later, i decided to bring it to the corner store to buy a pack of smokes, and it wouldnt start, only turn over. I figured due too driving everywhere in 2nd gear, the higher rpm at slower rate of speed consumed my fuel I put in it after I bought it, so went to store and got gas, put it in it, still no avail. So I checked the fuel pump and it wasnt kicking on, dropped the tank and hooked the pump directly to a battery and she purrs like a kitten, infact brannd new.

SO i tested for voltage at the fuel pump wires and notta, sooooo I decided to try a few things to no avail, not even a puff from starting fluid, so i pulled a plug put it on the wire, and turned it over..... no spark....

So now I have a truck with no forward gears past second, no power to fuel pump, and no spark at plugs..... first thing that popped in my head was ECM, but I pray its not so I come to you. I researched alot, and somone claimed they lost 3rd and 4th due to a faulty ignition switch.... then i found someone else today who said they werent getting fuel or spark from ignition switch...
I bought a ignition switch, PITA to change, still no spark no fuel. And it quit turning over, although I think the battery just reached its point of getting tired, and is charging at the moment.

No Fuel, No Spark, No 3rd or OD/4th Gear, = ??

ECM, all fuses good, relays good, etc. Any ground imparticular i could check out or am I gunna have to replace the ecm and have it flashed? If I get exact ecm does it still have to be flashed. I already tried insuring all connections to the computer were secure, unplugged them and plugged them back in, disconnected battery until check engine light went away, which was stupid, cuz now I cant read codes.... any how please help me figure this out.... its quite important as its my only ride atm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i can arc the solenoid to the hot and the starter turns, with key on, jumping solenoid, still no spark

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
does the passlock light flash? its a lil lock looking thing, if so....

leave the key in run for 5-10mins...the light will stop flashing, itll turn solid then turn off.

when it turns off, turn the key to off, wait 5-10 seconds...crank it...should fire up.

cant help u with trans issues...is it throwing any codes? check engine light?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent noticed it, I have the abs light and thats all I seen where is it located on the gauge cluster?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
ud see it if it was blinking...worth a try though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so its not pass lock, i did the relearrn even though it wasnt illuminated. Its some sort of theft protection/ecm fault perhaps i just have a bad ground, but, i feel like the trans, and the no fire, no power to fuel pump are related. What do they all share?? ECM. Ignition switch. Ignition switch has been elimated as the problem. If i remove the ECM from the truck can the dealer test it? What sort of charge? I actually have an extra ecm with the same service number, so if it is the ecm, what wouuld they charge to flash it?

anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know im new to this forum, but Im come here after hours of research in hopes of some enlightenment.... afterall 100 heads are better than 1. I am what I consider a talented mechanic, but lack the tools to to test a pcm, as functional, afterall you cant really get codes from a non running vehicle. Thanks for the passlock info, I had considered the same thing, and tried the relearn despite no telltale, looking for someone with similiar problems, that figured it out or who has an idea I havent though of. Thanks alot guys.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
u can get codes if it powers up :shrug:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Do you have power to the fuel pump relay in the fuse box?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have power to the fuel pump relay in the fuse box?
Thats a good question. Guess is that I dont, fact is i dont know, my test light is at my shop that I do business at. Im stranded at home, my helper is bringing me some of my better tools in a bit. So fact shall be known.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're a better person than I am. I would have taken it back as soon as the tranny screwed up. Never would have given it the chance to have all the other problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well im nearly a full time barterer, mechanic, and professional paint and body, i work from 8am to 11pm I basically got it at a steal. PCM good. Bad fuse box cover. yes the plastic piece that covers the fuses, it was bad. LMAO it labeled ign as SPARE so i never checked it, i shit my pants when I hit it with a test light and it lit up on one side.

Tranny problems still exist. I have a extra 4l60e here, so 3rd and 4th not working I hoped was a stuck on b (23) solenoid. swapped the solenoids, same problem, tomorrow i will be pulling my 4l60e from the broke down blazer its in and putting my solenoids back in it and placing it in the suburban. Sounds like a days work, but in good faith 3 - 5 hours.

Wish me luck! Let me know if im missing something on the shifting thing before i swap trannys in the morning!!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You said this burb had a 4l80e and you are going to swap in a 60e?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Did someone swap a 4l80 into it or did it come factory?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had assumed all full size gm trucks came with 80s but after looking and reading, i realized it had a 60e

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,323 Posts
I had assumed all full size gm trucks came with 80s but after looking and reading, i realized it had a 60e
If its a 2500 it would have the 80e and 14FF.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Have you thought this trans swap out? Is it 4wd? If not, that is only one new drive shaft. If it is, that may be a new transfer case and two new drive shafts.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Would be great if they all came with 80e

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i stated earlier that my burb had a 60e in it, it is not a 2500 and its not 4wd, the extra heat shieilds and a few google searches threw me off. I am almost done installing the tranny. I forgot to put the cooler lines back on before I raised the transmisson and installed crossmember... tight spot. PITA. bout to finish

1 - 20 of 22 Posts