GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Bag Envy
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first time I have driven my truck to work since it was lifted. Needless to say it was pretty bad on the interstate going up hills. But I was watching my trans temp gauge and I remember before it was lifted it was normally around 130 or so. Today on my way home it got up to 190. I have 3.73's with no tune or anything. For you guys who have lifted yours and re-geared what's your average trans temp? I really want to re-gear asap but can't afford it right now due to being in the middle of closing on my house.

·
Banned
4,961 Posts
175-190 depending on how often i let it shift. (backing off the gas so it doesn't down shift all the time) highest i've ever seen it get was 196. i drive with the trans temp guage on everywhere i go now.

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,285 Posts
I know mine has gone up and I questioned it on another forum. I was looking into bigger coolers, but was told it was OK. I want to say 160's. but I will check it tomorrow.

·
SierraDime
537 Posts
i run around 160-168 normal driving and pulling the quads i was getting 176-184, figure i need a better cooler tho i start working it offroad and it heats up quick 190's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mine aint lifted, but i've seen 192* temp going thru the mountains before

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
mines not even really lifted and sees 100* over ambient typically. then again, allisons run warm.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Crawling all day mine will run 200*F.

Running it at 4k through Pismo I wasn't getting over 160*F.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i got 5.13's and 37's and i run about 190 cruizing on the hwy, and thats with a brand new trans, i've always wondered about the temp, is there and coolers(bigger, more efficient) out there that i could install, i know people say its OK, but wouldnt it make you feel beter if it ran alot cooler all the time:hmm:

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Towing through town I see 190-200 but once on the highway crusing I see a whopping 155-165*. when they shift or the TC is unlocked heat builds. Only way to help that is to add a larger cooler and better gears to keep from overshifting.

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
It hovers around 140 - 149 with mix driving. I've seen it as high as 181 when I have pushed it hard.

·
Bag Envy
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so looks like mines about normal then. It's just always made me wonder if it was unusually high or not. So basically a larger cooler and gears will make it run cooler and help the trans life?

I had thought about adding a mag-hytec pan for now just to help cool it down some.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Ok so looks like mines about normal then. It's just always made me wonder if it was unusually high or not. So basically a larger cooler and gears will make it run cooler and help the trans life?

I had thought about adding a mag-hytec pan for now just to help cool it down some.
Just save and re-gear. THat will make the biggest difference. 190 isnt that bad. Just watch it on days that are really hot (90-100) and you should be fine

·
dieselz powerz
82 Posts
Do you gassers have tranny fluid coolers?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
some of them do. i think if they got a towing package it came with a cooler. my 06 has one.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I've got a 40k gvwr aftermarket cooler on the Chevy along with a +3qt pan and a remote filter. Combine that with my 2.5G PS system and I'm a rolling ecological disaster:rofl2:

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
I questioned it on another forum. I was looking into bigger coolers, but was told it was OK.
Well, no wonder the 4L60E gets a reputation as too weak for lifted trucks.

Do you gassers have tranny fluid coolers?
Yes. Mine has a decent sized external cooler that was part of the towing package. Others have a small one, or at least a portion of the radiator.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Crap I need to regear as soon as I get done with school mine runs about 200 on a hilly highway before the tire it ran 195 with a small trailer and a bed full of crap going the same route. 3.23 gears suck

1 - 20 of 40 Posts