GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Sierra 4x4 with a leveling kit and everything else stock.
I will be replacing the upper control arms this week for the third time.
Getting very f'n tired of this.
Is there an after market upper control arm/ ball joint that will last longer then a year?
I did the search thing but most threads relate to lifted trucks..which I have no interest in.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Cognitos are probably the best, but are pricey. The rough country's will do the same thing for half the cost.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a pair of ready lift arms for sale if interested. Came off my buddies 2011.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Icons and camburg are also good. Depending where your at id get uniball ucas. I think icon and fabtech make them and maybe cognito

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the cognito's because you can replace the ball joint without replacing the whole control arm. Is the ball joint proprietary or is it an OEM style?
I spin my own wrenches but had the last 2 sets replaced at a shop. It cost me $200+ in labour.
This repair would be over $1000 parts and labour..so I'm going to replace them myself.
What is the reason for the upper ball joints wearing out so fast? did GM screw up the geometry in the front suspension?
ETA..I live in Canada..lots of rough roads, snow,salt and crap..

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,691 Posts
No the geometry is fine. But when you add a leveling kit it is not the design the factory intended

·
boogity boogity
995 Posts
Icons and camburg are also good. Depending where your at id get uniball ucas. I think icon and fabtech make them and maybe cognito

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just put some fabtech uniballs on mine and so far so good. The specs are in line with camburgs and icons for a couple hundred less.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone have the uni-ball style in their truck for a while now?
I'm wondering how they stand up to dirt, salt,etc..

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
From what I've read, uniballs are not best suited for daily drivers especially in dirty/salty conditions as they are not sealed units. A quality sealed ball joint is all you really need

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I've read, uniballs are not best suited for daily drivers especially in dirty/salty conditions as they are not sealed units. A quality sealed ball joint is all you really need

That is what I was wondering. They wouldn't survive a winter up here. I replaced the old ones today with Moog...when these ones wear out I think I'll go with the cognito as long as the ball joint they use is an OEM style.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts