GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TylerWatters726
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching this quite a bit and almost always get the same answer from people I've asked.

Several people are running a 8-9" suspension lift (Generally Pro Comp or McGaughy it seems) and adding in 1-2" leveling kit spacer to achieve more lift & run bigger tires.

The problem I've noticed with doing so is that there is not enough adjustment in the factory alignment cams and upper control arms to get the front tires camber back "square" so that the tops of the tires are not tipped inward.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried a part like this Eibach 5.86375K to correct the alignment, or if anyone has swapped to different UCA's (Cognito, Fabtech, CST, eBay, etc.) that maybe are longer or arched differently to correct this negative camber tire tipping inward sensation.

I'm currently running a McGaughy kit set at 9", with a 2" leveling spacer and taller rear block, & upper bumper stop is removed to allow the UCA to not bind. My alignment is perfect castor wise, but camber is off just a little so the tires tip slightly inward with is why I'm asking if anyone has found a way to correct this before I have some poorly worn expensive tires.

IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG

·
TylerWatters726
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have two brands of UCA's (Spindle Source and Cognito) & the Belltech bushing and cam alignment kit on the way.

I'll get it fixed up, just wanted to hear if any of the lifted/leveled guys have used them to get their alignments perfect. I know the Belltech kit is popular with the lowered truck guys.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Where did you get the bigger rear block at?

·
n. fil-dert.
7,085 Posts
On my NBS I've always had trouble pulling the tire in, not pushing it out. I don't think cams would do anything for the range, you can only push the arm in or out so far.

I went with Spindle Source UCAs and was surprised how beefy they are. Not sure if they put the BJ in upside down but I flipped them so they sit lower/angle upwards at the BJ to compensate for the droop. I'll eventually swap these BJs out for Moogs, I have no idea where these came from.

IMG_5714.JPG

IMG_5715.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG

·
Registered
563 Posts
On my NBS I've always had trouble pulling the tire in, not pushing it out. I don't think cams would do anything for the range, you can only push the arm in or out so far.

I went with Spindle Source UCAs and was surprised how beefy they are. Not sure if they put the BJ in upside down but I flipped them so they sit lower/angle upwards at the BJ to compensate for the droop. I'll eventually swap these BJs out for Moogs, I have no idea where these came from.

View attachment 64442

View attachment 64443

View attachment 64444
Damn those are sexy, wanting to and needing to get some in the future, how much did those run you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,718 Posts
Most likely different bj angles not lengths. You can't just change the lenght of the upper control arm. Suspension geometry does not work like that

·
TylerWatters726
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've taken an interest to this since i might be in this same boat soon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upper-Control-Arm-For-2-4-Lift-Chevy-Silverado-GMC-Sierra-1500-07-15-/361272311305?fits=Year:2014|Model:Sierra+1500&hash=item541d81fe09:g:BtIAAOSwcUBYI8L1&vxp=mtr

"Designed for 2-4" lift"

so if i have a 5in lift (5 diff drop) that i stretch it with spacers 2-4in
will i be able to align camber into spec with a control arm designed for a 2-4 stretch? (not worrying about angles obviously)

I received my Spindle Source UCA's today. The upper ball joint angle is much better with them but the length is the same as OEM so the castor/camber alignment issue is still there.

Putting in my Belltech cam adjusters now to see if that changes it. Says it'll add 1° of adjustment which should be more than what I need, so it should fix my problem I'm having.

·
n. fil-dert.
7,085 Posts
Damn those are sexy, wanting to and needing to get some in the future, how much did those run you?

$280 shipped. Watched them for a while, they were at $300 plus ship but when they dropped I decided it was worth the risk.

·
Registered
563 Posts
$280 shipped. Watched them for a while, they were at $300 plus ship but when they dropped I decided it was worth the risk.
Not too bad of a deal, I'll have to scoop some of those up.

·
TylerWatters726
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
report back please

Well I'm about half way done with the Spindle Source UCA's & Belltech Alignment Cams.

The spindles put the upper ball joint in a much better overall position and they clear the coil spring with much more tolerance than oem.

Don't have my alignment tool at my shop right now, but the cams look to have given me plenty of castor/camber adjustment and I would definitely recommend putting them in to anyone "stretching" a lift or leveling kit. They are kind of a pain to install. Have to remove the UCA & pull the strut out, then grind the upper mounts outward 6mm to get the added adjustment. But from what I'm seeing right now, 100% worth it. I guess the lowered truck guys have some good things going on lol

·
n. fil-dert.
7,085 Posts
What's odd to me is that you have negative camber. Usually stretching out (lifting) the front end would cause positive camber. Those Belltech plates are for the lowered crowd so they can align because lowering causes negative camber and they can't pull the top of the tire out enough. I've never added lift on an IFS and had it pull the tires in at the top, it always pushes them out. I have to pull the cam bolts to their limit outwards to move the control arm inwards on my truck. Odd that you'd be maxed out on being able to push them inwards (to pull the top of the tire out) if you have a spacer in and your BJ angles are off. Usually the first thing that happens to a leveled truck is positive camber and the outer edge of the tire gets chewed up, not the inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been researching this quite a bit and almost always get the same answer from people I've asked.

Several people are running a 8-9" suspension lift (Generally Pro Comp or McGaughy it seems) and adding in 1-2" leveling kit spacer to achieve more lift & run bigger tires.

The problem I've noticed with doing so is that there is not enough adjustment in the factory alignment cams and upper control arms to get the front tires camber back "square" so that the tops of the tires are not tipped inward.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried a part like this Eibach 5.86375K to correct the alignment, or if anyone has swapped to different UCA's (Cognito, Fabtech, CST, eBay, etc.) that maybe are longer or arched differently to correct this negative camber tire tipping inward sensation.

I'm currently running a McGaughy kit set at 9", with a 2" leveling spacer and taller rear block, & upper bumper stop is removed to allow the UCA to not bind. My alignment is perfect castor wise, but camber is off just a little so the tires tip slightly inward with is why I'm asking if anyone has found a way to correct this before I have some poorly worn expensive tires.

View attachment 64425 View attachment 64426 View attachment 64427 View attachment 64428

View attachment 64425 View attachment 64426 View attachment 64427 View attachment 64428
Hey buddy, I'm having the same issue. I have a 2007 VortecMax with 6" lift. I have a bad negative camber and ball joints in a bind, gone through a set of tires with the insides worn like drag slicks and outside of tire looks brand new. Trying to figure out if I need new UCA or adjustable UCA? How did that work out for you? Were you able to get it aligned? Thanks for any help yall can provide fellas!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts