GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know if there is an aftermarket / stronger rack & pinion, or some type of steering upgrade available for our trucks? NBS. Other than going full hydraulic steering of course. Im just wondering and havnt poked around at it yet, figured id ask you guys first.

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cognito has about the best option
Do you happen to have a link to it? I searched cognito's website but could not find anything regarding a rack and pinion system from them....just your tie rods and such.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Cognito likely has nothing for a rack and pinion. He was probably talking about their idler and pitman arm braces.

I'm in the same situation. I could use stronger steering while 4-wheeling. I'm tempted to look into something that could easily be adapted to any truck with R/P steering but I dunno what kinda market there'd be for it.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
ya i was speaking of upgrading what we got
He has a 4x2 = rack and pinion steering.

You have a 4x4 = recirculaing ball, center link, idler/pitman arms.

Complete different systems.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
:roflsquared:

On a side note, my 4x4 has rack and pinion too. :crazy:

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i forgot here on GMFS we lift 2wds sorry
Ill lift your 2wd :crazy:

I'm guessing your only option is what some of the high end prerunners run as far as steering goes.
Thats exactly what i was thinking also, just didnt know if there was a stronger replacement steering system out there or not.

Yep....that will probably be the route to take if i ever decide to upgrade the rack significantly.....or if i decide to go full blow long travel, id like to look into these.

I bet theyre expensive as hell though.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Not too bad, the Howe assist R&P is ~$1600 retail with the control valve in the 2.0 size. You'll need a turned up p-pump to adequately power the 2.0 ram though, let alone the 2.5 unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts