GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like an air compressor for typical automotive use. A local tool shop has the Dewalt D55168 compressor for $250.00 (Factory Reconditioned with warranty). Does anyone have any experience with this compressor? I want one for typical auto use...lug nuts (impact wrench), normal nuts and bolts (air ratchet) and maybe the occasional cut off wheel use. It is a 15 gallon, 1.8 continuous hp, 5.4 SCFM at 90 PSI, 200 max PSI, etc. (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15014)

Do you'll think that would be sufficient for occasional home use (not everyday shop use) with enough power to not be aggravating and pointless? Is the tank large enough to not have to run constantly? I really don't know much about compressors and would just like something not real expensive for the garage. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would like an air compressor for typical automotive use. A local tool shop has the Dewalt D55168 compressor for $250.00 (Factory Reconditioned with warranty). Does anyone have any experience with this compressor? I want one for typical auto use...lug nuts (impact wrench), normal nuts and bolts (air ratchet) and maybe the occasional cut off wheel use. It is a 15 gallon, 1.8 continuous hp, 5.4 SCFM at 90 PSI, 200 max PSI, etc. (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15014)

Do you'll think that would be sufficient for occasional home use (not everyday shop use) with enough power to not be aggravating and pointless? Is the tank large enough to not have to run constantly? I really don't know much about compressors and would just like something not real expensive for the garage. Thanks for any input.
Thats a MAX 150 PSI My Friend even though they call it a 200..
Also its a 15 amp circuit.

Would be nice for small use.

NOT for long use like Cutting wheels for a few mins long you would have to biuld back up ect. ect. DA Sanders would also suck hell even taken off all your lugs in 4 mins it would need to biuld back up..

Long story short you get what you pay for..

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
you can a decent large enough from lowes or home depot for not much more money that would run alot a tools

·
Registered
58 Posts
How often would you be using these air tools is the question you need to ask yourself. If its a daily use thing than don't get it. If you'll be using it once a month and you don't mind a little waiting then go for it. A cut off tool would drain it pretty fast. Also think about powering it and size too. If you are tight on room or don't have 240 a smaller 110 unit may be your only option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not for daily use. It would be used maybe once or twice a month, if even that much. I would just like to have a dependable compressor for the occasional stuck bolt or large weekend project. I believe it would come in very handy for the body lift install, tire rotation, etc. These are not tasks completed very often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts