GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 97 Silverado 4x4 with the 305 Vortec. Can you remove the cover that is over the stock air filter and get more air through it. Would this help increase hp. It's not going to be much hp but not wanting to spend money right now on a K&N setup or whatever else is out there. I am new at this so whatever info you can give me will help. Thanks :bowtie:

·
rockin wheelies
284 Posts
I got a K&N air filter and it helped a little and i removed the top off the box and it didnt do much to i put it back on so the filter wouldnt get clogged up. Is that 305 vortec the v6?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Pulling the top off will actually drop power. You'll pull in more hot air that way...hot air = less power. IMO, air filter kits don't really do anything on their own....to be benificial they ideall need to be combined with other mods that overall create better breathing. For instance, headers plus a cold air kit plus a chip/custom tune would be such a combo.

Cameron

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've got a K&N air filter. It didn't help me a damn bit, but then again the only other mod I have is a 40 series flow. So in other words, I wouldn't waste the money on a K&N (mine came with it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts