GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to air and got this new ride and can't figure out the problem. It was currently nitrogen if that helps at all.

It's front/rear setup only, when the fronts up and I raise the ass the front bags deflate some like it;s backfeeding. And when I try raising the fronts it comes up maybe 2" then I gotta wait a minute and hit it again for another 2", but it's not draining the tank while doing it. Whats the deal?

And are extreme450 valves any good?

·
Registered
593 Posts
seems like a valve problem or a wiring problem. it would also help to throw in check valves to keep the air from going back into the tank.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
How are the valves and lines run? True FBSS or 2-way? Sounds like you have some type of 2-way or halfarsed goofy 4-way system going...likely plumbing.

Cameron

·
Local Drunk
1,054 Posts
the front lowering when you raise the back sounds like a back pressure problem

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just front/back.. check valves should fix the problem of it lowering right?

Now I'm stuck on why the fronts slow to raise and only does it 2" at a time

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your supply line from the N tank could be pinched or kinked slowing the transfer of N to the tank, which in turn will slow the transfer of air to the valve. It could also be a very low-flow regulator on the bottle.
Who ever said that the front dropping was a back pressure problem is most likely correct. The valves need back pressure to stay closed, if not they will try to equalize bothe sides so every time you deplete the air behind the valve (tank side) it is going to take it from the front (bag side) to balance out.
Check valves arent a bad idea but if you take care of your main supply problem you shouldnt have any other problems.
You should eventually put a pair of compressors on there with a good pressure switch, that switchin bottles stuff is a waste of time & money.

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
I would see if they have a tank as a resivor for your nitro tank. Also like above check the lines to see if something is inhibiting flow along with the line size would key player also.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
if its a tank and compressor then its a really good chance of back pressure problem.

what kind of compressor. the whole i can only go up a few inches thing can stem from your tank not being big enough and ur compressor being too small as well.

i have a 12 gallon tank with two viar 450s and a 175 psi pressure switch. from on the ground to all the way up i loose about 30 or 40 psi. if you only have something small, like say a 5 gallon, ill put money on ur tank emptying out just raising the front a few inches.

just so you know im not crazy, my buddy had a nissan hardbody with a 5 gallon tank and some small thomas air compressor. he could barely raise the front of his truck all the way up without the comps turning on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's about a 5-7 gallon tank with a ratty firestone compressor. I do plan on swapping to dual 480's and 12gallon tank. The front coming up slow doesn't turn the compressor on so I'd have to say it's not draining the tank. I don't have a guage on the tank so I can't tell ya what the pressures of it before/after are.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
well, more air and the bigger compressors will definitely give you a noticeable change in rise time

·
(o Y O)
331 Posts
i seem to have the same problem. i was thinking it does this bcuz the rear has more lift than the front, so the front kinda dips.

i am seriously stumped on a air leak i cant find. i sprayed windex everywhere! with no bubbles at all, yet empties in like 3 hours. Too fast of a leak and no bubbles in sight?? i never had this problem till i bagged the front.

im running a 5 gal, 1 380, no check valves or guages. rear valves are on the tank and the front valves are under the doors.

what the hell can it be??:think:

·
Registered
170 Posts
if you are sure there are no fittings leaking you could be leaking past the exhaust valves. What kind of valve? if you don't have mufflers in them you could have sucked some dirt in them.

Illegal-

the front drops. What, do you have SMC valves or something? My bird does it also. when the tank pressure becomes lower than whats in the front bags and you try to lift the rear it will bleed pressure back to the tank and in the rear bags. A ckeck valve in the supply(s) to the front will fix that.

the fronts slower, could be a bunch of things from kinked lines to the length from the line from the tank.
With nitro you have the same amount of pressure thru you're whole lift range. with pumped air as soon as you start lifting, your pressure drops and its going to get slower as you use the air lifting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like either your airline is pinch or something always lift up the front first it takes more air to lift up the front then the back it could maybe be the valves there's a lot of smart people on here hope these ideas help you

·
(o Y O)
331 Posts
i got 1/2 SMC's i have a feelig its a T im running. let me try to explain my set up. i got a 5 gal with 4 ports. 2 ports are used for the valves to the Back end. 1 port has a T for pressure switch and compressor. then the LAST port i have a air line point down into the bed and T'd to the front, airline on each side.

so that T that goes to the front valves might be F'd up, so ill replace it tommorow and hope that works.

i do need check valves for sure though.

thanks for making it clear for me Baggedbirds

·
(o Y O)
331 Posts
i got 1/2 SMC's i have a feelig its a T im running. let me try to explain my set up. i got a 5 gal with 4 ports. 1 2 ports are used for the valves to the Back end. 1 port has a T for pressure switch and compressor. then the LAST port i have a air line point down into the bed and T'd to the front, airline on each side.

so that T that goes to the front valves might be F'd up, so ill replace it tommorow and hope that works.

on all dump valves i have a fitting with a knob that lets me adjust the drop speed.

i do need check valves for sure though.

thanks for making it clear for me Baggedbirds

1 - 18 of 18 Posts