GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back into surf fishing @ OBX/Assateague and up & down the NC coast driving on the beach. I haven't been on the beach before with any tires with as small sidewall as these. Has anyone aired down to 20 psi or so with this rim/tire combo? Also, for anyone wondering, I "am" experienced driving in the sand, just sometimes these tires look like they'd be ok and then sometimes I think I might risk popping a bead...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
20 psi should be fine, probably even less. I would be more worried about scratching the wheels up with the soft sand out there that will have those wheels sinking into it than losing a bead. I've been out there with roughly 15psi on a 3/4 ton truck with no issues with the bead. Personally I would score a set of 17" w/t stockers to run out there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20 psi should be fine, probably even less. I would be more worried about scratching the wheels up with the soft sand out there that will have those wheels sinking into it than losing a bead. I've been out there with roughly 15psi on a 3/4 ton truck with no issues with the bead. Personally I would score a set of 17" w/t stockers to run out there.
Thanks. I figured, but everything else I've driven out there has been on 15" rims & at least 33's with a ton more sidewall. I don't think the sand will hurt the wheels too much as there isn't really anything putting pressure against the rim itself (if that makes sense). I may look into picking up an extra set of wheels, but even then I don't want to swap that shit over every time we go out.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
The only thing I'm looking at is the long soft stretches getting onto the beach in some places would have the wheels themselves churning in the sand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing I'm looking at is the long soft stretches getting onto the beach in some places would have the wheels themselves churning in the sand.
Yea, you've got a point there. We're headed down to Topsail this weekend, so I'll watch them closely as we're entering and see how deep I run in the soft sand and gauge it from there.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I wouldn't see a few times really hurting it, but I could see it eventually sandblasting the clear coat coat pretty good.

·
hella cute n shit
7,652 Posts
Sand does indeed mess up wheels... my poor 20x12 Welds looked like they had a stainless steel lip, lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup. I never had a problem with my Rangers aluminum rims getting messed up, and that was for 5+ years going on and off Assateague all summer long. I did have 33's on them though. I will probably eventually either go to a larger tire or another set of smaller wheels. The smaller wheels would be ideal too when it comes time to buy new tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts