GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The project below I completed last week is actually located under the hood...not interior or exterior, but it does relate to the interior...so here is what I did.

I needed to relocate the jack and tire tools from the interior of my NNBS RC so I could make room for a sub box later...beside it was a PITA to get to them because of the way Chevy designed the seats. So here is my solution to my problem.

Under the hood, there is a spare battery position that was empty. Since I do not plan on putting a second battery in the truck, I decided to install a toolbox there.

After some planning and measuring, I decided the front of the toolbox would be secured with an extended length fender bolt:

My toolbox...an ammo can I had painted black.

It had to be lifted over the lip of the battery tray so I used a scrap piece of 2x6 I had, cut to fit, & painted with oilbased paint.

Soon the toolbox will house the following:

Here are the makings of my toolbox:

To secure the back of the toolbox, I would use two L brackets I had leftover from a video system install years ago (yes I don't throw useful stuff away):

Installed to the inner fender in a staggered pattern:

CONTINUED...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I then installed two bolts sticking up in the bottom of the tool box for the jack and one bolt in the side of the tool box sticking in for the chocks. Then I bolted the riser block to the bottom of the ammo can tool box:

I then slid the unit into place into the L brackets. Bolted the brackets to the riser block, bolted the front of the toolbox assembly to the stock fender bolt location, and screwed the box to the riser block for added security:

Here is a few pick of the finished product:

And the tire tools slide behind the tool box and the under hood fuse block.

I still have plenty of room for some tools and a couple of tie down straps.

Pretty convienent IMO. Please comment as necessary...

AK4wheeler

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Nice, good use of space.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments...

For those who want to do this, the fender bolt size is a M6 and is about 3" long. I do not remember the tread pitch, but you should be able to match it up with a nut.

Also, I had to use the L brackets because there was not another fender bolt location near the back of the box, so a little improvision had to be done on my part.

Easy install though.:)

AK4wheeler

·
GMFS MEDIC
283 Posts
what about trying to use one of the old tool boxes from an obs that was under the hood in that same spot? might look a little cleaner...

·
Registered
99 Posts
yes, definitely a great use of space! i would like to do this myself

what are the dimensions of the ammo box? thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.