GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 silver ext cab, what is a good Alarm that will work with the factory system (pass Key) or not. I like the responder DEI, audiovox, two way remote. one thing I do want is two remotes so my wife can have access without bug'in me,

I would like to have two remotes, glass and shock sensors, tail gate and hood protection.
The only protection I have now is :guns: And I know how to use them.
it's a shame we have people out there that want to steal our rides.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you only have to worry about the passkey if your remote starting it so.....
DEI is good, Viper, Avital, Clifford, Wasp, Hornet, all from them
the audiovox is a pita to install compared to the DEIs, but Im guessing you wont be installing it your self
If you do the Vox it does have the main 2-way remote plus the second 1-way non-paging one where as the DEI only has one
I wouldnt worry about glass breakage much, the shock sensors are good enuff to cover that, unless they hot-stone you, but most theives arent smart enuff for that. If somebody breaks a glass outside the truck and its loud enuff, your alarm will go off and if its too sensitive , rain will set it off. Id put that money into a back-up battery and an interior pain generator both of which will run about the same as the glass mic.
I think I covered it all

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
You're actually gonna need 2 DEI modules:
555L for the passlock/ignition immobilizer bypass,
456G to interface with the factory databus, inorder to integrate into the factory domelight system, doorlocks, and factory alarm bypass.

The 456G makes the install easier. Otherwise you have to hardwire the door triggers into each door.

I recommend the Viper 791XV, Clifford RS3.5, or Python 881XP, which are all the same alarm, with different remote cosmetics. You can add either an extra 2-way remote, or a regular 1-way remote to any of those.

There's also the Hornet/Valet 554 2-way alarm/RS by DEI. The range is not as good, but has all of the same features. It comes with 1 2-way remote and 1 1-way remote.

·
9,823 Posts
X6339X we need to figure out whos the sidekick here. You seem to get the facts I miss and I, you.
Actually not all 04s need that module. Ive done an Avi that didnt and a RST conversion truck that did which is funny cuz you would think the higher end truck would and not the lower end one. The 456 isnt always needed for dome lights also. You can diode isolate the inputs if you want or run straight to dome light with the + input but you have to deal with the delay.
I like how GM says they embrace the aftermarket yet you need a laptop computer to add a radio and remote start w/keyless

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
what alarm would you guys recomend for a 2003 base model Silverado? i dont have power locks or windows. someday i'm going to either shave the handles or add powerlocks. what about the paging alarms? how do they work? are they worth it?

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
I haven't worked on an Avy yet, but the 03-04 trucks and suv's (Tahoe, Yukon, and Denali) have required the 456G.

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
Homer J said:
what alarm would you guys recomend for a 2003 base model Silverado? i dont have power locks or windows. someday i'm going to either shave the handles or add powerlocks. what about the paging alarms? how do they work? are they worth it?
Pager alarms are a convenience, more than anything. It allow you to view what's going on with your alarm from afar. Like if you remote started it from inside the house. On a non 2-way alarm, you'd have to guess if it started or not. On the 2-way alarms, the remote will confirm whether or not it started.

No alarm provides 100% protection. It also depends on the install, and how well the wires and components are concealed. Alarms are meant to be a deterrent.

I prefer DEI alarms (Viper, Clifford, Python, Sidewinder, Avital, ...) because of their reliability. I've heard good things about Audiovox and Autopage also.

Be weary of the cheapie 2-way alarms on eBay. You get jack for support, and since they're made in Asia, the english manuals are hard to read, because the person who wrote it speaks broken english.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So, What do you guys recommend for a 2004 SS? I would like a 2 way remote start being that I live in Alaska. Also where do you recommend purchasing it online?

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
SSALASKA said:
So, What do you guys recommend for a 2004 SS? I would like a 2 way remote start being that I live in Alaska. Also where do you recommend purchasing it online?
Are you gonna install it yourself?

·
9,823 Posts
I think from more of the guys on here that know what they are talking about like x6369x and I, youll always hear DEI for a reccommendation. Ill say this , if you want remote starting, get a DEI. I did a Autopage on a few cars and on some your going to need an extra part just for the tach. DEIs can pull a tach learn off a coil, coil pack, injector, tach, or voltage, the Autopage , only tach or a tach driver

·
Registered
26 Posts
x6369x said:
Are you gonna install it yourself?
No, I am not. I have a friend that installed alarms before entering the military. From what I am told he knows what he is doing, One person that shows their truck in shows said that he got complements on the install. So I trust him.

I didnt mention that I currently do have an alarm that I purchased on EBAY a couple years ago, never had it installed on my old truck. Its made by US auto security, It has a 2 way FM remote with display, and remote start. The problem is my stupid ass lost the instruction manual, However on the back of the alarm is a wiring diagram. And I have found alarms with the exact same apperance. Does anyone think that it could be the same alarm sold under a differnt name? Oh and the remote has a small antenna on top, LCD screen, and 3 buttons with what look like roman numerals on each on I,II,III. Does anyone know anything about this please help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts