GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my truck (NNBS, crew cab), the rear speakers were not working and the front ones sucked. Today I replaced the front door speakers with a set of 6-1/2" Kickers. I turned the radio on and they sounded much better, but there was just no bass. Even turning the bass way up, there was just hardly anything there.

I took the rear door panels off to find both rear speakers blown. So I took the old speakers from the front and put them in the rear. They came alive with bass. Granted, they are still shit speakers, but they thump more than my new Kickers. In fact, they thump with more bass in the rear doors than they did in the front. It seems as though the factory audio system sends the majority of the bass signal to the rear doors. I had these kickers in my F150 and they sounded good. I'm going to buy a set for the rears too and then eventually upgrade the head unit and maybe throw a 4ch amp the speakers.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
You don't want bass from speakers. Mess with the fader a bit

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Everyone says there is more bass from the rear speakers... lower freq.. whatever u wanna call it..

·
Registered
74 Posts
No bass from speakers? Either you are confusing mid bass and low bass or you don't care about staging.

There are several reasons this could be.

The rear doors may act as a better enclosure or quite likely the factory drivers have better low frequency response than the kickers. Many aftermarket drivers focus on increasing range at the top which almost always sacrifices low end response, (not entirely bad) figuring most will add subs.

You can help regain some low end response by sealing the door as well as you can and adding deadener. Plus it will just sound better.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
GM factory speakers are bassy, have been since the 80's. Every time you replace them, you lose bass. It has nothing to do with putting more bass to the rear or anything, it has everything to do with the speakers used, the door, and how the speaker is situated with the door panel. The bottom line is, if you want bass, you need a sub. However, there are things you can do to improve midbass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '13 Mustang had the Shaker system, with 8" subs in the doors and an amplifier mounted behind the console. I was spoiled.

I'm not looking for exceptional audio and I don't plan to use any subs, because I flip my backseat up and my dog rides on the rear floor (I have a blanket she lays on.) I just want decent sound from the door speakers. Guess the real test will be when I get another set of kickers for the rear doors. They can handle up to 300W, so I'm going to assume they are way under powered on the stock unit. Which is why I may go with a new head unit and just put a 4ch amp under the front seat to power the kickers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depending how picky you are you could run some drivers with good low end response in the back doors. It would drive me bat shit, but I'm picky about being able to locate drivers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol. Well considering that what I just did today made a world of difference, I'm considering that. What are some good 6 1/2" drivers?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just the factory head unit for now. Eventually a new head unit and some sort of 4ch amp. Nothing crazy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just ordered a set of Pyramid X65x. They had good reviews. At least they won't blow like the stock rear speakers did.

·
07 Silvy
132 Posts
Keep us up to date

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol. They were cheap, had good reviews. Guess I'll find out.

What other options to add some good bass without losing my back seat (or under back seat) space? I utilize all that floor space with the seats up.

·
Bitchin' Stitchin'
74 Posts
10" slimline sub. Under the passenger seat. This box was made for under a bench seat, but one could be made for under a bucket.
I have 400 watts going to it @ 2ohms. It's no competition style sub, but it really helps in a middle-of-the-road system. A $25.00 C/L find.

needlessunsetsubbox027.jpg

needlessunsetsubbox028.jpg

needlessunsetsubbox030.jpg

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Best bet would be to add a good midbass or full range speaker

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Put a sub in your console or behind rear seat

1 - 20 of 30 Posts