GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since this comes up weekly, and I've tried to respond to most that I see, I thought I would throw this together. Note that the name of the tire is a link the the manufacturer's website that contains the sizes and specs for each specific tire.

Now, granted, there are tons of AT tires out there that are stock replacements etc, my reviews are going to focus mainly on the more popular and mainstream tires that are used here on GMFS, not the tires that Joe Schmoe runs down to the tire shop and get the local specials.

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO

Pros:
- Excellent Wear/Mileage
- Great road manners.
- Severe Snow rated
- Long history
- Basically the benchmark All Terrain

Cons:
- Expensive
- Poor in mud, as are all A/T's when compared to M/T's, but they are known to load up very quickly.
- Some have complained about noise levels
- Run small for their stated size.

Overall about the only thing bad about these is the cost. :imo

Nitto Terra Grappler

Pros:
- Excellent road manners
- Good wear/mileage
- Heavily siped for good wet/snow traction
- Quiet
- Soft ride

Cons:
- I've heard complaints of poor wear, mainly from 3/4 and 1 ton guys who haul heavy loads frequently.
- Again, not much good in mud.

Rarely do yo hear much bad said about these. It's worth nothing that these are a twin to the Toyo Open Country, same company owns both.

Toyo Open Country A/T

Pros:
- Excellent road manners
- Excellent wear/mileage
- Heavily siped for good wet/snow traction
- Quiet
- Smooth ride

Cons:
-Not the best in mud. Surprise.

I had one set of these on my stock wheels for over 65K miles, through 4 Northern Lower MI winters, excellent tires, I would buy them again. Also had a set on my 20's, response. Only things I've heard bad is that they don't "look aggressive enough" :rofljest:

General Grabber AT2

Pros:
- Excellent wear/mileage
- Excellent road manners
- Severe snow rated
- Smooth Ride
- Inexpensive

Cons:
- Probably not good in mud.

These tires are a really close knockoff of the BFG AT, are said to perform as good or better, at a much lower price.

Cooper Zeon LTZ
196422879-M-1.jpg

Pros:
- Excellent road manners
- Good wear/mileage
- Quiet
- Excellent ride quality
- Well siped for wet/snow traction
- Well priced

Cons:
- More of a street/AT hybrid tire
- Probably not good in mud.

I've had these on my 20's for a few months, very pleased with them.

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial
Additional sizes

Pros:
- Excellent wear/mileage
- Excellent road manners
- Good in sand (high flotation)
- Great ride quality

cons:
- Typical AT, not real good in mud.

Haven't heard much bad about these, no personal experience, but most like them.

Dick Cepek F-C II

Pros:
- Great road manners.
- More aggresive tread and deeper lugs then typical A/T

Cons:
- They have DC's all over the sidewalls. :lol:
- ?

No personal experience with them, anyone offer some input?

zoom.gif
Falken Wildpeak AT
Pros:
Nice design for an AT
50,000 Limited Milage Warranty
30 Day Ride Gaurantee
Great reviews from FourWheeler.com (http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1101_falken_wildpeak_at_tires/index.html)
Wildpeak AT video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTWTDqDPhYw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWvWxjnJYaU
Sizes ranging from 15'-24''
Attractive pricing

Cons:
Fairly new tire from a company that's been around for a while
No "real life" reviews from actual owners yet with notable milage

There are plenty of others:

Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T
Pro-Comp A/T
Bridgestone Duelers, I've got the Revo's on my stockers, great for a stock replacement.
Firestone Destination AT
Cooper Discoverer ATR
Michelin LTX
Goodyear
Off Brands

Anyone wants to do a review like the ones above and PM it to me I will add it to the original post, I just threw this together. Who knows maybe we can get a sticky.

:endofshow

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
Great writeup! I can say that my BFG's have 25,000 miles on them and they still have 8/32 of tread left. They are starting to get a little loud but not bad. Not the greatest in mud, but I dont offroad it much at all. My father-in-law has the firestone destination A/T's and I have to say they are great. He has 10K on them and they look great. Its also an F-250 that he hauls a race trailer with. Would deffinately recommend both tires.

·
Registered
909 Posts
good job on the post, ive had a set of BFG A/Ts , a set of the toyo a/ts and i currently have the nitto terra grapplers, me personally i hated the bfg a/ts my bfg m/ts outlasted my a/ts, i really liked my toyos but sold my old truck and the tires went with it , but i do like the nittos good all around tire, hope to hear some things about the cooper m/t been lookin into gettin a set.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Please sticky this!!!!!!

Great job on the write up.

One thing I would like to add, that I have read recently, is that the Nitto Terra Grapplers are heavier than other comparable tires. I have not done much research on this, but keep seeing this.

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please sticky this!!!!!!

Great job on the write up.

One thing I would like to add, that I have read recently, is that the Nitto Terra Grapplers are heavier than other comparable tires. I have not done much research on this, but keep seeing this.
I almost put that, since I have heard that too, but don't have any info to back it up.

soon i should be adding to this, Dunlop Rover Maxx Traction
Aren't those MT's though? :crazy:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought the Michelin LTX AT2. So far they are great. Just need to go off-roading to find out how good they are in that aspect. But on the road, very quiet, have good mileage/wear ( or atleast are suppose to ) and have a good ride quality to them. And they have 17/32 tread depth. And they were on the expensive side, thats for sure.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
2,073 Posts
Here are some recent tires I've had and the reviews:

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo (I had the Revo 1, I hate the way the new Revo 2's look, they are less aggressive) - low noise (although there is still a slight hum), ride great, great in wet and snowy conditions, decent looks, very good mileage

Nitto Terra Grapplers (my current tires) - very low noise, ride great, awesome so far in rain and snow, look really good for an AT IMO, have did decent tread wear wise as well

·
Wreck 'Em
267 Posts
Cooper Zeon LTZ's are on my truck right now. I have no complaints about them.

I have not used them offroad at all, so I cant say how they perform offroad, but they do handle very well in the wet/winter weather.

Virtually no noise compared to stock, and I think they look pretty good.

Also, they are a very inexpensive tire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the Cooper Discovery ATR's on my truck before, and they were terrible. Not to mention the sidewalls were like the ocean.

·
Never Finished...
424 Posts
Did a great job on the write up & I was thinking about getting the Toyo's AT or MT, haven't decided yet on that one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Cooper Zeon LTZ's also. There is no difference in sound between these and the stock Goodyear Wranglers. They ride great and handle amazing in the rain. I couldn't be more pleased with this tire.

Look at Discounttire.com for hundreds of positive reviews on the Cooper Zeon's.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have nitto TG---nothing but praises from me

They took less than 2oz weight per rim to balance (inside & center stick-on weights)

During our "snow storm of the century" we got 14-18" of snow while I left the truck in 4HI the time, I never had any problems getting out anywhere nor put any weight in the bed of the truck(aside from what snow fell back there).

With having said that, I've only put 4500 miles on the tires since purchase, and they show no visible wear to speak of. Im getting ready to rotate them at 6k miles when i change the oil on the truck.

With the above said---I will recommend these to anyone looking for an AT tire

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
i have Pro Comp xtreme a/t..

with no weights at all they still ride great, aligned easy. Like most a/ts they work great but cake pretty easy. Pretty quiet on the road, worked good in the snow we had last week. Wear is good so far.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts