GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Solid axle '01 Tahoe/'03 Sierra/'18 Silverado
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at my build that is finishing up. An off-road front bumper would be a nice addition.

I was hoping to get links (pics too) to all the different ones out there. To see which I like

As of now I've found:

1) "MOVE" diy bumpers.

2) Hammerhead

3) ranch hand

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
All the bolt on ones are too clunky. You just fabbed. you’re own SAS. Make your own bumper. I’m sure you can do it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the bolt on ones are too clunky. You just fabbed. you’re own SAS. Make your own bumper. I’m sure you can do it.
It wouldn't be the first.....or the second.....or the third....or even the tenth.

I'm a little over working on it. I just want to drive it a while now. I'm ok with spending a couple hours bolting something on. But I'd rather be on the trail in my spare time before i get into another project.

And sometimes theres a pre made one that isn't like hanging a battleship off the front *cough...ranch hand...*cough

It's too bad, if I had an NNBS, there's a couple that aren't horrible. But NBS? I'm coming up empty.

I'll end up building one if there isn't a hiding gem somewhere. But not for a while.

I think The main problem is that everything on the market is designed assuming that there's 14" of IFS crossmembers and structure hanging under the truck. Now that I've realized that fact. I think I'll be forced to build one.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
Yep build one. I think you can do it. There's a guy over on the Overland Bound forum with a 2000's Tahoe that fabbed up a super simple winch bumper and it looks tits compared to what all is out there. I made one for my 05 burb when I was into that phase but don't have any pictures of it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far ARB doesn't repel me.

If I built one (and i mean if) I'd probably go low-key like this one i did for a tacoma. But wouldn't go down as far in the front because there's no IFS.

On this one it stuck out past the fenders because there were fender flares not seen in this pic. But i don't think I'll do flares on this one.

Probably no winch, just a couple solid recovery points. And most important, more clearance

But the jury is still out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seams like nbs and beyond most aftermarket bumpers get really clunky

And I thought the bumper i did for this highlander i built was clunky. But that's how the guy wanted it.

I always looked back and hated it. But the guy loved it, and it's still 10x less clunky than what's on the market for trucks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fabbed the lift, and the bumper, and skid plates for it.

It's only lifted 1-1/2" with 31" tires

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
Must haz winch lol. You've gone this far :)

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
I like the arb bumpers, can't find many pics of them on 99-02 trucks or burbs/hoes tho
View attachment 870963
Would do this all day. As in copy the bottom portion and make it myself though. And maybe the center section just for the lights but not the hoops around the headlights. If you need those you are in the wrong part of the trail lol

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Would do this all day. As in copy the bottom portion and make it myself though. And maybe the center section just for the lights but not the hoops around the headlights. If you need those you are in the wrong part of the trail lol
You can buy all their bumpera with just the base bumper, this was the only nbs pic I could find lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Must haz winch lol. You've gone this far :)
Until now I've not needed a winch.
And my need for an off road bumper is to get clearance now that the IFS is gone.

A winch will hang lower than no winch.
And my springs are 310lb/inch rate (each). So a beefy winch bumper and a winch could drop me 1/2" to 1" in the front too.

This is the lowest profile bumper I've ever been able to build for a Chevy and fit a winch into. And it still was 12-1/2 tall as i recall

I tucked the winch between the frame rails. And between the grille. But these trucks have more open space there i think

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Though i guess i could maybe do it like this one that i did.

The winch sat up on top of the frame rails. And i just slanted it down at a 45.

Ugly, not elegant, and blocks airflow to the Rad

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
Yeah I was going to say you know if doesn't have to fit inside the bumper...meh I just think a winch is a must have if you plan on doing even moderate off-roading, it's a game changer as far as confidence level and you can help others out with it. But if you're just driving on the street/occasional fire road yeah it's just adding weight. You could also put a receiver on the front/rear and only carry the winch when you need it, I've always liked that setup. What is your ultimate goal with this truck?

·
n. fil-dert.
6,939 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything but it's odd to me that you are asking about what looks good/what is available if you designed and fabricated all of these bumpers. Like an autobody guy asking what rattle can primer works best lol.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts