GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're really getting into spring cleaning mode now that the weather is consistently warm I thought I'd make a few suggestions. If any of guys are looking for a way to REALLY get your truck/car clean, heres some tips and my process when I let my daily driver go a while w/o a good cleaning.
Start off by pre-treating areas such as wheel arches, front bumper, lower side panels and other areas that get hit w/ bugs/tar and debris with Poorboys Bug Squash http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/bugsquash32oz.html
I let that sit while I attack the wheels using poorboys APC http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/biodegradable-apc.html
Once the wheels are done, I fill my bucket. Heres where a good tip comes in. Add in some of the APC mentioned above into your wash bucket! This, mixed with a good soap like Super Slick & Suds http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/super-slick--suds.html will remove almost all the dirt you can throw at it. I think you guys will be shocked at how the combo of the bug squash, apc and soap will strip almost everything off your paint. ( you will want to rewax after this type of wash down though) All those black drips that accumulate from never washing, caked on bugs and tar, and just all sorts of debris are gone.
Another tip; add some bug squash into your windshield washer reservoir. It gives the fluid a little extra kick :)
If your wheels need an extra kick too, there is always poorboys spray n rinse. Be warned though, this stuff is potent! lol. You'll really want to cut this with water. Full strength is definintely not necessary.

And since its the start of the season, I figured I should mention that anyone picking up a gallon of product that needs a smaller dispenser (ie: spray n wipe/gloss, spray wax, etc) I'll include a free 32oz spray bottle and chemical resistant nozzle.

And to finish off your spring cleaning, dont forget sealants glazes and waxes :) Those are personal preference so if you have a question on those, ask away :ninja:

hopefully this comes across more as a suggestion than a sales pitch. Just tryin to give some pointers out there :shake:

·
Milf Hunter
1,796 Posts
Good info as always. Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Another tip; add some bug squash into your windshield washer reservoir. It gives the fluid a little extra kick :)
You sure this is such a great idea? I know it would be fairly diluted, but I would not want that fluid dripping off the windshield and onto my paint since it will remove bugs it must be pretty strong. Then, having it dry on and bake in the sun may leave some fading or stains or will at least strip your wax or sealant. :imo Im sure it wouldnt do anything irreversible to the paint...but im pretty anal about that stuff.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't noticed any problems on my truck. I rarely use my washer fluid though, and if I do, its b/c a lot of debris was being kicked up on my truck. ie: from following someone on wet roads, etc. I'll use my washer fluid then, or, during summer months, when we get a lot of bugs hitting the front of the car and windshield. Basically, I only use the fluid when its really necessary, and that typically warrants me washing the car the following day or two anyway, so nothing really sits on the car long w/o me washing it off :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
my buddy mike (shssportsfan) detailed my truck today with all of your stuff and i am very impressed! he did a great job and the blue wax smells AMAZING

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
I've been doing the APC mix on tough washes forever, and it deffinitly helps! For wash fluid, I use Rainx fluid that has a 'bug wash' in it. That stuff kicks some serious ass.

·
Registered
405 Posts
my buddy mike (shssportsfan) detailed my truck today with all of your stuff and i am very impressed! he did a great job and the blue wax smells AMAZING

Yea, I did mine this last week and it turned out great.
I came out from worlk yesterday to see that my truck had been egged the night before on the passenger side and I didn't see it in the dark when I went to work, so of course it had been baking in the sun all day. Went home right away and hosed it off and washed the egged areas and it still looks great. Not so much as a water spot to be seen, I was so worried the egg was going to eat right through but seems the EX from Chris really does a great job.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Chris,
Is there anything I can do about the "spiderweb" in my paint from where the egg shell smacked my paint? It looks like it put little cuts in the paint in the form of a spiderweb..As far as I can tell it won't buff out, looks pretty deep.:pissed:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was getting ready to respond to your post above this one when I read the bad, but expected, news :( First, I'm glad to hear that you had a good coat of ex on there. I'd say that definitely helped against the damaging enzymes of the egg while sitting on your paint all day long. EX is a really great protectant. However, the "spider webbing" that you're seeing is actualy fractures in the clearcoat caused by the egg shell hitting the paint. There is no wax in the world that will protect against that unfortunately :( Likewise, there isnt much you're going to be able to do about it. If you really want to give it a shot, you can try some 4" pads w/ a compound on your pc, but its probably not going to correct the problem. My truck also has an area that was hit w/ egg during the last owners time w/it, and I havent been able to correct it yet. It sux b/c its really a sore spot on the truck. Sorry to hear about your paint bro.. that really does suck. If you find the bastards, tie them down and throw a few eggs at them, see how they like it :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was getting ready to respond to your post above this one when I read the bad, but expected, news :( First, I'm glad to hear that you had a good coat of ex on there. I'd say that definitely helped against the damaging enzymes of the egg while sitting on your paint all day long. EX is a really great protectant. However, the "spider webbing" that you're seeing is actualy fractures in the clearcoat caused by the egg shell hitting the paint. There is no wax in the world that will protect against that unfortunately :( Likewise, there isnt much you're going to be able to do about it. If you really want to give it a shot, you can try some 4" pads w/ a compound on your pc, but its probably not going to correct the problem. My truck also has an area that was hit w/ egg during the last owners time w/it, and I havent been able to correct it yet. It sux b/c its really a sore spot on the truck. Sorry to hear about your paint bro.. that really does suck. If you find the bastards, tie them down and throw a few eggs at them, see how they like it :)
Thanks for the reply Chris, that is what I figured. Luckily it is pretty high on the A-pillar and not real noticible from the rest of the people in lower rigs.

And I did spread the word that I better not find out who did it or they will feel my wrath for marring my pride and joy:flame:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts