GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my stock unit with the Alpine last year but in March it started shutting off and on by itself. I posted this same topic on another board and they told me to check the wires in the back. I did check the wires and nothing was wrong any of them. I was wondering if somebody else might have an idea of what might be wrong with it? It will play fine for a while and then it will start shut off and on, almost like a studder. When installing the h/u is the foam insulation suppose to stay or is it suppose to come out? The h/u is about 3 yrs old, if the age has anything to do with the problem. It was in previously in my '99 but took it out before I traded it in for my '01.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BuiltNotBought99 said:
Sounds like the HU is dieing to me man.
Already? It was only in my '99 for about 5 1/2 months and it has been in this truck for about a year. So all I have gotten out of this thing is a 1 1/2 of use :pissed: What a peice of $hit!!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
That's very strange b/c alpine makes a really realiable unit, but it sounds like its dieing to me you could take it to an electronics store and get it bench tested.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Electronic store like Radioshack? Or something like Circuit City?

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Sounds like overheating to me...insulation you say?

Go with Pioneer headunits always! = my $.02

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I didn't notice it at first but when I looked at the wires I noticed it. It almost looks like the a material you might use to package something. There is an opening in it, where two ends meet, located where the stock unit has its fan but I just thought that might be a coincedence. You think that might be causing the problem?

42 Posts
I don't think the insulation on the wires is your problem. I believe the head unit is going out or for some reason the power to it is surging, and causing the head unit to protect itself. Have you had the unit tested yet?

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't know where to get it tested? Also, didn't know that I could test it. The insulation on the wires I know is not the problem but there is some insulation that looks like packaging material that seems to go around the back of the unit, kind of like a cover. I don't know if it is suppose to be there or not.

My truck is equiped with Onstar but is not active, would that cause any problems?

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
I think maybe the insulation is supposed to be there. It's attached to the HU right?

It really sounds like overheating to me...just like an amp would act. Use it for a while, it turns itself off, cools down, you use it some more, etc.

Maybe the fan on the HU has died. Try pulling the unit out (as much as possible) while still connected and check if it's working.

The only other possibility would be a loose connection inside the HU, since you said you checked all the wires that hook it up.

If it were a problem with power surging, you would have more electrical problems than just your HU (unless you hooked it up yourself straight to the battery or something outrageous).

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
leochevy2001 said:
Didn't know where to get it tested? Also, didn't know that I could test it. The insulation on the wires I know is not the problem but there is some insulation that looks like packaging material that seems to go around the back of the unit, kind of like a cover. I don't know if it is suppose to be there or not.

My truck is equiped with Onstar but is not active, would that cause any problems?
You could get it tested at Best Buy or Tweeter or something like that...anywhere they install car audio I would guess.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
halecj said:
I think maybe the insulation is supposed to be there. It's attached to the HU right?
No this insulation is connected to the truck. It fits around the unit like a sock.

halecj said:
It really sounds like overheating to me...just like an amp would act. Use it for a while, it turns itself off, cools down, you use it some more, etc.
I was kind of thinking the same thing that it is overheating and shutting itself off. It works well in the morning on my way to work but usually in the afternoon that is when it starts to shutoff.

halecj said:
Maybe the fan on the HU has died. Try pulling the unit out (as much as possible) while still connected and check if it's working.
I will check to see if it could be that.

halecj said:
The only other possibility would be a loose connection inside the HU, since you said you checked all the wires that hook it up.
Could I find this out by testing the unit?

halecj said:
If it were a problem with power surging, you would have more electrical problems than just your HU (unless you hooked it up yourself straight to the battery or something outrageous).
When it was in my '99, it was installed professionally but it was taken out when I traded that truck in. It already had a wiring adapter to work with the stock wiring so a friend and myself put it in this truck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is the whole unit powering off or just no sound coming out of it? I've got an alpine HU that I've had for going on 4 years and swapped it back and forth between 6 vehicles. I haven't had any problems with it. Mine has an internal amp to bump it up to ~60w per channel. It is possible that the internal amp is overheating if you have one. I would definately guess overheating as the problem.

You may try taking off the insulation that you are referring to. I've never seen one with insulation on it. Maybe they need extra insulation up north. :)

Anybody that sells alpine should be able to troubleshoot it for you.

Good luck man.

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nafortin said:
Is the whole unit powering off or just no sound coming out of it? I've got an alpine HU that I've had for going on 4 years and swapped it back and forth between 6 vehicles. I haven't had any problems with it. Mine has an internal amp to bump it up to ~60w per channel. It is possible that the internal amp is overheating if you have one. I would definately guess overheating as the problem.

You may try taking off the insulation that you are referring to. I've never seen one with insulation on it. Maybe they need extra insulation up north. :)

Anybody that sells alpine should be able to troubleshoot it for you.

Good luck man.
The whole HU is turning off. I think mine has an internal amp that powers out 40w per channel.

I didn't have time last night to do anything with the HU but I will try this afternoon to check it out. Thanks guys for your replys.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
what I do to check some of the conditions a HU is under, is to ohm check the speakers and ohm check them to ground. You unplug the radio and use a multimeter to check the ohms of each of the speakers, they should all be around 4-8. Then you put one side of the meter on a good ground and use the other to check all of the speaker leads. If any of them show any ohm load to ground, that speaker(s) is your problem

·
My truck is SLOW!
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So a speaker could be causing the radio to kind of short out?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you got it

if your on AIM hit me up at blazzerr43 if you need help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts