GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about getting all RF stuff, but have been told from pretty much everybody, i could get better for the same amount or less, so what are yall thinking? Im open to whatever, Im wanting on 12" sub and an amp to run it. I would like them to look pretty good, and have really good sound quality w/o breaking the bank. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
04HEMI said:
I would like them to look pretty good, and have really good sound quality w/o breaking the bank.
Infinity is your answer my friend.

Total price of both subs $221.95. Built for SQ, and look nice and shiney too. :rocking: :rocking: :rocking:

You're looking at an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1. They require very little airspace, and...well, just do a search on Google for reviews of them. I really couldn't say anything better about them than what you'll find.

You can see a bigger picture of it here:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/509936/2

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
1 - 12" Alpine Type R
1 - Memphis ST500D

I've got two of the Type R's and one ST500D pushing both of them and it sounds alright, they start bottoming out after so much volume. I imagine if you hooked just one to it, it'd POUND!

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey nick, im gonna need that dudes number that you know that does custom boxes. I went to Audio Express and w/o Plexi it was gonna be like 400 for just the box, I was like DAMN! Itd be easier to do a cool box 2 subs and the amp in the middle, i may go that way, who knows! :anitoof:

Anymore suggestions guys, Ive had a couple for Alpine type Rs and memphis amps?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I had 2 10" alpine type R's ("1000 watts" each) with a JL Audio 500/1 amp running them, and they sounded very nice and are VERY good subwoofers. Those subs were really nice at low bass and shook my seats at high bass.

I recently (which I think was a stupid decision) got a RF 801s ("2400 watts") and JL W6 subs.. it's a lot more powerful but I think i could have saved my money and just stayed with the Alpine's and JL amp.. anyways, good luck.

you may want to check out www.sounddomain.com and www.onlinecarstereo.com

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, let me run this by you guys,

Im torn between 4 subs:

Alpine 10" Type Rs - $360 for the pair
Mmats 10" ProSeries - Dont know the price, anybody else?
Kicker 10" L5s - $400 for the pair
JL Audio 10w3v2s - $380 for the pair

Also, Ive decided on a JBL amp, I really like the looks and heard they were pretty good performers, but which should I get for the above mentioned subs? The 180x2 at 2 ohms is on sale for $120, and a 1200x1 is on sale for $300, or any inbtween, but which one? Heres a link to a list of them available http://www.audio-n-more.com/jbl/jbl_amplifiers.shtml

PLEASE HELP! Thanks guys.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
I haven't heard the Mmats, but I like both the Alpines and the Kickers, and the JL's... well they're OK I guess. :anitoof: I'll get you that number tommorow Will, I seem to have misplaced it, but his wife is my english teacher so I'll fix ya up :bowtie:

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This has always confused me, how would I hook up a 600.1 amp to more than one sub? I have never understood why they label them that way? Also, how many watts would the 600.1 be pushin on both subs at 2 ohms I guess?

Oh and thanks Nick I really appreciate it. Im not gonna give him anything too hard, I want to have the subs behind the seats w/ an amp rack in the center w/ the amp recessed in it w/ a neon and plexi covering the amp. I think itll be a pretty simple design, very similar to just everyday truck boxes for 2 subs, just w/ the addition of the plexi and neon.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
04HEMI said:
Oh and thanks Nick I really appreciate it. Im not gonna give him anything too hard, I want to have the subs behind the seats w/ an amp rack in the center w/ the amp recessed in it w/ a neon and plexi covering the amp. I think itll be a pretty simple design, very similar to just everyday truck boxes for 2 subs, just w/ the addition of the plexi and neon.
I doubt he'll have any problem at all with that.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
on www.ikesound.com The JBL 600.1 is like $185 and the 1200.1 is $285...

I would go with the 1200.1 for 2 subs... My 600.1 pushes the shit outa my single 10" L7... And pushes the shit outa my bro's 2 10" RF... But more power is always better... I have always loved the sound of JL subs...

·
GMFS Firefighter
133 Posts
tuckin22 said:
my two favorite sub comapnys are image dynamics and adire audio

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com (bad azz subs)
www.adireaudio.com (direct from supplier = cheaper) look at the shiva for your setup

adire's not mainstream but they sound awesome and are usally used in home therater setups for sq but get loud too

As I always say, Adire Audio. 12" shiva=$125 they are very well made subwoofers, and, unlike many of the mainstream stuff, they have very good customer service. plus one of my good friends if best friends with the owner of Adire.

Visionaryaudio.com

Thats my friends web site
Wes

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any other thoughts on amp size? And Id still like to know how you go about wiring a 600.1 sub to 2 different subs?

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if I wired the subs like the picture below, they would run at 2ohms correct? How much would each sub be pushing w/ the 600.1 amp wired to them this way? Would that have each sub gettin 300 at 2ohm w/ the 600.1 amp?

spk3dvcs.gif

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
04HEMI said:
So if I wired the subs like the picture below, they would run at 2ohms correct? How much would each sub be pushing w/ the 600.1 amp wired to them this way? Would that have each sub gettin 300 at 2ohm w/ the 600.1 amp?

spk3dvcs.gif
It depends on what subs you get. If you get DVCs at 2 Ohms then that diagram is correct, and yes each sub would be getting 300w. A lot of DVCs are 4 Ohm though, which is nice if you have a 1 Ohm stable amp.
If you are planning on getting DVCs and they are 4 Ohm, this is how you should wire it:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Remember it is a monoblock amp, DO NOT BRIDGE IT. Wiring one sub + - to the amp + - will keep it at 4 ohms. Wiring each + - to its respectable + - with two subs will give you 2 ohms. Also use a y connector on the rcas to the jbl amp so that you use both sets of imputs on the amp. The jbl rep I talked with claims this will get a few extra dbl out of the amp. I have dealt with JBL since they came out with the monoblocks and no one ever bothered to tell me this but it does seem to help.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
therealgeronimo said:
Remember it is a monoblock amp, DO NOT BRIDGE IT. Wiring one sub + - to the amp + - will keep it at 4 ohms. Wiring each + - to its respectable + - with two subs will give you 2 ohms. Also use a y connector on the rcas to the jbl amp so that you use both sets of imputs on the amp. The jbl rep I talked with claims this will get a few extra dbl out of the amp. I have dealt with JBL since they came out with the monoblocks and no one ever bothered to tell me this but it does seem to help.
So the wiring diagram I posted above would be incorrect to get 2ohms out of the setup I am planning to get? The subs will be dual 2ohm voice coil w/ the 600.1 amp. Does anybody have a wiring diagram that would show the correct wiring configuration that would be used w/ this setup to be at 2ohms? I just dont understand the difference in wiring a 1, 2, 4 channel amp. Is it just the difference in number of power outputs? I just want to make sure the 600.1 will work good for my application and the finished product will sound good. Thanks for all the info and advice.

Thanks,
Will

1 - 20 of 26 Posts