GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2012 GMC sierra SLT crew cab 5.3L. Currently the electrical system is stock. I do have a pull from power at night and I can see lights dimming. I anticipate adding after market headlights, fog lights, light bar, wench and stereo. I have done a bunch of research but I haven't seen where any of these options cross paths.

• Add another battery (seems a HO alternator or 2nd alternator would be needed to recharge them both) great for running longer off batteries, but not sure the cost impact
  • Add another alternator (what does one do with all that extra juice)
  • Add a high output alternator ( most reasonable in my mind - but would need a new serpentine belt)
In any situation I plan on replacing the big 3 (wires from battery, ground and alternator). Does anyone have suggestions on what would be the best course of action? I am leaning towards a HO alternator for about 300 bucks.

Would love any incite on how to handle this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My LTZ has always had a noticeable light dim inside when hitting the windows and what not. The DR44 alternator that comes stock on that trim package is pretty nice. I put an optimum red top in, big 3, with all raptor terminals, and it did nothing but bump my voltage up a hair. Voltage is always over 14, but I still get inside light dim. Can’t speak for headlights because I wear glasses for a living.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting! So that gives me some incite. I have the same stock situation. I was hoping that changing it would make those things go away. Adding in additional electrical draw components will only make it worse. So the big 3 won't change it, I was surprised that the redtop didn't make a change.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Interesting! So that gives me some incite. I have the same stock situation. I was hoping that changing it would make those things go away. Adding in additional electrical draw components will only make it worse. So the big 3 won't change it, I was surprised that the redtop didn't make a change.
Red made a change. I’m notorious for drinking over the recommended amount, and leaving the radio, lights, and other thing on for 12 hours plus. Starts every time.

All the LTZ, Denail, and other high trim packages, always turn them selfs off if you drain the battery in the on position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right on. I have the all terrain package on the SLT which is like the LTZ. I just replaced the battery last year and may upgrade but that will be the last of the changes. I am just not sure what the pros/cons are of each. if there is something out of the 3 I shouldn't do...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts