GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its time to get loud once again and looking for some insight since I havent brought a ho alt in 6 years or so.im a ohio gen fan but singer seems to be a hot item to.i hear nothing but good about ohio gen about their product and customer service.only bad ive heard about singer is he is selling rebadged mechmans.this true or does he actually make his to?

· Premium Member
9,886 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my DC power alt. I hear wait times are horrible when you buy online but Im local and got it within a week.

· 496BB
2,040 Posts
Excessive amperage I've heard a lot of good

Sent from my Big Block iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
7,906 Posts
Well its time to get loud once again and looking for some insight since I havent brought a ho alt in 6 years or so.im a ohio gen fan but singer seems to be a hot item to.i hear nothing but good about ohio gen about their product and customer service.only bad ive heard about singer is he is selling rebadged mechmans.this true or does he actually make his to?
I've not been impressed with Ohio Gen, I had a Singer for 3 miles and I wouldn't say it's a rebadged Mechman because they both do the same thing, rebadged junk yard. They get alts from a junk yard, clean up the stator and case, put a new rotor and regulator in it. Mechman's seem to last about 2-3 years, which is how long Singer has been in business.

I couldn't be happier with my DC power alt. I hear wait times are horrible when you buy online but Im local and got it within a week.
They've got the wait times under control last I knew, I waited 2 weeks for 1 of mine and 3 weeks for the others. They don't die, they're solid, do great power. My Astro is the last vehicle I wanna swap alts on which is why I put DC Power in it after having one on my Sierra.

Excessive amperage I've heard a lot of good
I've had good luck with his product, I have one on my CRX. His customer service can be hit or miss. Some days its fast reply, other days I can't get a price out of him.

I would specifically avoid Iraggi as if your life depended on it, as well as pretty much all your eBay brands like DB Electrical, Power Bastards, etc.

· 496BB
2,040 Posts
GP is coming out with their own line of alts. I was told they handwine them and what not. (I don't know much ) was quoted 325 for a 200 amp alt. which is leaps and bounds over my stock 80amp unit.

· Premium Member
9,886 Posts
not all 200A alts are equal tho. WHEN does it produce those 200A is key. Hot, cold, idle, maxed out rpm, engine or alt pulley rpm, pulley size. LOTS of variable to look at.

DC uses oem pulley size, gives u hot/cold, idle/max output.

· 496BB
2,040 Posts

Ground Power. Its a kinda local facebook thing. Sells sky high and spl labs mmats.ect

· 496BB
2,040 Posts
not all 200A alts are equal tho. WHEN does it produce those 200A is key. Hot, cold, idle, maxed out rpm, engine or alt pulley rpm, pulley size. LOTS of variable to look at.

DC uses oem pulley size, gives u hot/cold, idle/max output.

That's a lot of good questions I need to ask :Shake:

· 496BB
2,040 Posts
They guy who runs it purpl syrup is like Steve meades arch enemy. He the biggest promoter of northstar batts

· Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I had called ohio gen early and thats all he kept saying.he was the founder of the original ho alternnator world and that everybody just copies.he buys brand new gm cases and build his from scratch.where all the rest get them from a junkyard.i dont know much about alternators at all just looking for all the info I can. I know with my recent purchase its fused for 500 amps so now ill definitely be doing twin 270's of some sort just dont want to drop my harf earned dough on something and it fail. Or spend to much and there be equal out there for less money.

· Premium Member
7,906 Posts
Ya I had called ohio gen early and thats all he kept saying.he was the founder of the original ho alternnator world and that everybody just copies.he buys brand new gm cases and build his from scratch.where all the rest get them from a junkyard.i dont know much about alternators at all just looking for all the info I can. I know with my recent purchase its fused for 500 amps so now ill definitely be doing twin 270's of some sort just dont want to drop my harf earned dough on something and it fail. Or spend to much and there be equal out there for less money.
yeah, DC Power machines their own cases, then sends them to the junk yard so they can reclaim them...... I think it was Ohio Gen that told somebody their alt blew up because they had 1/0 wire on it and they needed to use 4 ga wire. I'm pretty sure he didn't invent the HO alt and besides, just because you invented it doesn't mean you do it best. Motorola invented the cell phone, you see where they're at now.

· Registered
9 Posts
yeah, DC Power machines their own cases, then sends them to the junk yard so they can reclaim them...... I think it was Ohio Gen that told somebody their alt blew up because they had 1/0 wire on it and they needed to use 4 ga wire. I'm pretty sure he didn't invent the HO alt and besides, just because you invented it doesn't mean you do it best. Motorola invented the cell phone, you see where they're at now.
This is off topic from OP but your comment about Motorola triggered an interesting memory. About 12 years ago, I had to take a class about how cellular phone systems work for my day job. They guy teaching the class had been a senior engineer with Motorola. He was fired for telling them that technology being developed for the overseas cellular phone systems was superior and that Motorola should consider changing their designs to be more like the competition. He became a freelance consultant to the cell phone industry and traveled all over the world to different companies. Back then, he told us that Samsung had some really interesting products in the pipeline and that they would become an 800 lb gorilla in this industry.

So yes, just because someone invents something does not mean they are the best in the face of competition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.