GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently burned up my alternator (literally, 2' flames and all) in my 93, and am looking into a higher output unit. what is available that will directly bolt into the place of my stock K60/100 amp unit?

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
I can get you to 200 amps(peak rpm) in a stock housing(cs130 class).It will idle around a 90-100 amps depending on rpm.If you plan on efans or big stereo in the future,I suggest a large housing unit (cs144 class).These units in stock form and an overdrive pulley will get you to around 100amps at idle also.These are the units, that I can get around 130 at idle when built and peak around 240-250 amps.The housings are much bigger alowing me to put a ton a stator winding in them. Here is a good example, the large unit has the same mounting dimensions.I have bolted the large unit in place of the small one, a million times.Hope this helps.
100_0541.jpg

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
so what does one of those big units run?

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
You can get 145-180 amp alts for around 100, Search ebay every so often you can get a good deal

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
so whats that run?

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
so whats that run?
I'm also interested in the "large housing unit (cs144 class)" alternators. Anyone know where to find the high output stuff?

Thanks
Chris

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
Nice.:evil:
thanks! I just got hooked up with this company that has these chrome kits. This nicest finish Ive ever seen in chrome, and done here in the good ole USA!:patriot:

so whats that run?
more than the Ebay take off units:D , but cheaper than ANYONES natural finished units by 100 bucks.Plus a warranty that NOBODY even tries to touch.:read: pm sent

I'm also interested in the "large housing unit (cs144 class)" alternators. Anyone know where to find the high output stuff?

Thanks
Chris
:think:

·
YUH
7,600 Posts
ron would you pm me a price for an alternator for my 05 4.8l. ive got the low amp one and need something better for my stereo. maybe one from a higher model gm?

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
Josh, your truck being an 05 should have a 145a already.Depending on how much amp draw or rms you have, you may get away with just an overdrive pulley.How much rms you running? Do you already have, or plan on efans?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ron i have the 145 in my 05. i am running a sx700.4 and a sx1250.1 and when i bag i dont know if i want elec( 2 480s thats 40a a piece) or edc. i might go edc to have maintainace free trouble. what size alt would i need or will a pulley work.
pm with a price please. i was also toying with the idea of two batts and a isolator. let me know what you think i should do
ohh btw its a 05 1500 v6 5sp with e fans
thanks dave

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
right now your probably about maxxed out, for a pulley.If you go dual 480's you'll definately be over the safe limit for a single battery stock alty combo(comps and efans do weird thingsLOL).I would go ho alty and 2 batts paralell.Ive seen this set up handle 10,000 watts rms without trouble.Im planning on running 480's also. and thats how I'll be setting mine up.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
My truck has no electronic mods and I want that alternator. But, I other priorities. :nono:

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
My truck has no electronic mods and I want that alternator. But, I other priorities. :nono:
I ought to do a alty rebuild thread then you guys could just get a chrome kit, and install it yourselves.If there's any interest.

·
YUH
7,600 Posts
Josh, your truck being an 05 should have a 145a already.Depending on how much amp draw or rms you have, you may get away with just an overdrive pulley.How much rms you running? Do you already have, or plan on efans?
i see.. ive got efans stock and probably about 850rms watts? whats your best suggestion? i need to do the big 3 and get a red top but id like to upgrade it all at once.

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
i see.. ive got efans stock and probably about 850rms watts? whats your best suggestion? i need to do the big 3 and get a red top but id like to upgrade it all at once.
the pulley and big 3 or at least a 4 ga. charge wire and you'll be fine.If you want a lot of park and play time add another battery parrallel or isolated.Then if you add more later, or your alty dies, go H.O. The 145's are pretty strong alts, it's just hard for them to charge through that 10 ga. shit GM gave us.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts