GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Layin' Frame on 24's
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 4 channel Hifonics amp model zxi6406 powering two sets of mb quart reference 6.5" components. I ran everything direct, ya know + to - channel 1, + to - channel 2, and so forth. Didnt sound that loud and tight to me, I wanted more. So i went on here and took some advice from a couple of peeps, rewired it, dropped the ohm load to 2 ohms instead of 4, and yes the amp stated 4 ohm stable. Anyway, sounded great, so much louder and crisp, I went up and up with the volume until. . .silence, no more sound comming out my components, checked the amp, and it was in protection mode. Didi some troubleshooting and nothing, even ran it direct with no rca, no speaker wire, straight to the battery, and still in protection mode. Could it be I didnt have it in stereo or mono? IDK. I need some help, please. What are my options? Is the amp done for? Anyone can fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and I already conatcted the manufacter and they said since I didnt buy from an authorized dealer, they cant do anything for me.
:lazer:

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
May have gotten too hot. Is it in a moderately ventilated area?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
+ to -? Im confused
Sounds like you ran it at 2ohms mono instead of stereo and might have blown it

·
Layin' Frame on 24's
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forklift: Yeah I think so, I pretty much wired up ch 1 and 2 together bridged, and 3 and 4 together bridged, so I think I dropped the ohm load to 2ohms. I didnt know I had to switch the amp to stereo or mono, the guy that told me to wire it up that way never said anything like that. It did sound great, loud and crisp for a while, but I must have went a lil to high with the volume and it went into protection mde, and never came out. What can I do? Is the amp done for? Know anyone that can fix it?

Thanks much in adavnce.

·
9,823 Posts
unhook the speaker wires, turn it on, if it comes on then it might be ok, if not its toast and needs a fix.

·
9,823 Posts
you killed it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts