GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a 03 or 04 Extended cab and installed an amp? I'm looking for the best place to run my 4 gage thru the firewall. I've taken a look and it looks next to impossible.

Thanks in advance

·
layin big rubber
1,456 Posts
run it thur where the main harness goes into the firewall, their is a rubber boot
around the harness, its on the drivers side right next to the brake boster, kinda under the fender bracket, and ones it goes in the boot, its right their by the kick panel and u can run it behind that and under the panels for the doors, and the rear of my truck, part of the panel next to the back wall had a small cut out that looks like it is factory like that, so i had the wire come out right their and its behind the rear seat by those vents

thats wut i did on my 2000 ext cab

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
Joakwin said:
run it thur where the main harness goes into the firewall, their is a rubber boot
around the harness, its on the drivers side right next to the brake boster, kinda under the fender bracket, and ones it goes in the boot, its right their by the kick panel and u can run it behind that and under the panels for the doors, and the rear of my truck, part of the panel next to the back wall had a small cut out that looks like it is factory like that, so i had the wire come out right their and its behind the rear seat by those vents

thats wut i did on my 2000 ext cab
:word: Just did that again on my bros truck this weekend. If you are VERY careful you can use a razor blade to slit the boot from the engine compartment area...makes it a lil easier to pass the wire thru...use a coat hanger too...DO NOT CUT THE WIRES...(just had to state the obvious)

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
OKLAGMCRUISER said:
:word: Just did that again on my bros truck this weekend. If you are VERY careful you can use a razor blade to slit the boot from the engine compartment area...makes it a lil easier to pass the wire thru...use a coat hanger too...DO NOT CUT THE WIRES...(just had to state the obvious)
yes watch out for this! Ive done 2 where while I was shoving a gromet poker through I caught wires. One was the horn the other was the igniton! Ive done probably dozens of these trucks and no 2 are the same on where the wires go inside. BE CAREFUL

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm destructive. :evil: I went through the spot where it is marked as a knock-out plate. I have the 4ga wire isolated with it's own grommet, and then it runs through where everyone else stated (i.e. under sides of truck sill)

·
9,823 Posts
1badazzchevy said:
I'm destructive. :evil: I went through the spot where it is marked as a knock-out plate. I have the 4ga wire isolated with it's own grommet, and then it runs through where everyone else stated (i.e. under sides of truck sill)
thats usually what I do if its a 4 or 8 ga but anything else small like a siren I use my grommet poker

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1badazzchevy said:

Are you talking about right of the factory harness and a little higher? Thats where I'm looking at, gonna run 4 ga and I have a grommet.

Thanks for everyone's help

·
9,823 Posts
its where the clutch would normally go if you have an auto

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry to post dig, but i will be installing some 4awg through the firewall this weekend, and i was wondering if you have any pics of where the knock out hole is??

I bought the 4awg pro grommet from stinger, so i am prepared to drill :guns:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just did this last weekend, went through the factory boot like everyone else.

Just out of curiosity...where are you guys actually mounting your amps?? The box i have requires the airspace between the two subs (w3v2 10's) , so between them is out. Where is everyone mounting their amps without removing seats back there?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i definitely dont want to go through the boot. it sounds risky, and i have that water tight grommet that looks like it iwill kick ass hehe...

I am mounting my amps behing the back seat. best place imo... you could talk to badazz about his rear seat mod. I will be installing that this weekend :D it allows you to fold down the top part of the seat for easy access to your amps. :rocking:

Anyone with pics of the firewall punch through on an extended cab nbs??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts