GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my old ass 800w 4 channel rockford fosgate amp is dying. two of the speakers sound really shitty, and it overheats really quickly. i decided to replace the amp and i got a 1000w 4 channel phoenix digital amp. i know the new company isn't great, but i just need a cheap fix, as i don't have too much money these days. so anyways last night the amp was installed and when i tried to test it out i got a really high pitched buzz/hiss sound out of the 4 speakers, and no music. does anyone know what the problem could be?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
nope i have no idea:read: you try taking the amp back to the shop yet? I'd try using my friends 4 channel to see if it helps, but hes kindof :gay:

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
shitty amp?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually it turns out the new amp is fine. Will (2k1slvrdo) helped me put the amp in initially, and i guess he just doesn't know what he's doing.

·
9,823 Posts
haha Id like to hear this. I bet it was a speaker wire problem huh?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
94flamds10blazr said:
haha Id like to hear this. I bet it was a speaker wire problem huh?
i think so. I think jeff said his right front speaker was grounding out, so that was causing the amp to turn off. I never thought to check that since i was doing it at like 11 at night. I just took it out and said fuck it.

94flamds10blazr, why are you always right? lol

·
9,823 Posts
I did the same thing when I put a panel in on my 93 GMC. The kick panels have little metal clips that hold them in and a speaker wire got caught. It went through the metal and grounded out a little bit making the amp overheat and turn off alot. I thought it was cuz the amp was old and it was a constant on demo model at BB for like 3 years! It was never turned off, even at night. Well the left front channel shut off and I thought I might have a bad speaker. I took the wires out of the amp for that speaker and no problems for like a week. So I took it all apart and didnt find a problem. I got new speakers and the issues came back once they were hooked back up. So I traced the wires again and saw that finally.

plus Ive been doin this for like 9 years even if I made a stupid mistake like that

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn, so ur saying i pretty much didn't even need the new amp, the old amp is probably running fine. that speaker wire grounding out is causing all my problems.

·
9,823 Posts
that would be it as long as you didnt mess it up grounding it out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts