GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an amp for my comps and sub.

The amp for my comps will run my 6.5 infinty perfects which are 100rms @4ohm

The sub I'm thinking of is a Diamond d3, possibly a d6. The d3 is 400rms @2ohms/ 800 peak. The d6 is 500rms @2 and 1000 peak.

After I figure out what kind of coin I'm going to be dropping here, I'll select a deck based on what kind of coin I've got left.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
You wanting a 5-channel or something like that?

Kicker 700.5
JL Audio (not sure of the model number) also has a 5-channel, and it's probably better than the Kicker.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I don't see a four or five channel pushing enough to really take that subwoofer to its full potential. I'd look for some older stuff, they tend to really make some power.

Currently I am on the look out for a Precision Power Ax606.2 It is 50x6 @ 4ohm. The rear channel (5&6) can be bridged to run 200x1 @ 4 ohm and 400x1 @ 2 ohm. If you don't want rears, bridge the fronts also so you'll have 200x2 @ 4 ohm and a 400x1 @ 2 ohm.

The fucker is two feet long. :rofl2:

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I don't see a four or five channel pushing enough to really take that subwoofer to its full potential. I'd look for some older stuff, they tend to really make some power.
I know the Kicker amp that I suggested won't push it, but I think that JL's a powerhouse for what it is. Some of the older Xtant 3 channel amps were pretty beefy. Best thing to do though is 2 separate amps...

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
you know the amp im offering :shake: it could definitely take care of that sub. most of kickers 2 channel amps do their power at 2ohms so you would need to look at a higher end amp from them (if you wanted it all to match.)

and 5channel vs 2 amps... i prefer the look of 2 amps to that of one huge amp :imo.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Last I checked, you don't buy amps because of looks. 2 amps takes up WAY more space than a 5 channel, plus takes more wiring.

The old PPI ones I run look pretty :gay:

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
depending on the install looks matter.
ehh you got a point, but when space is tight like it is with NBS trucks...

I'm selling all my Kicker stuff because it's too tight of a fit. I'd rather have 1 5-channel amp for space reasons, plus SPL isn't a concern.

JoeJ: I wish today's amps were as nice as those old PPI's.

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe my first post wasn't worded well enough. I am looking for 2 amps. A mono amp for the sub and a 2 ch for the comps. I'm going to run my rear plates off of the deck unless I can find an awesome deal on a 4ch.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
maybe my first post wasn't worded well enough. I am looking for 2 amps. A mono amp for the sub and a 2 ch for the comps. I'm going to run my rear plates off of the deck unless I can find an awesome deal on a 4ch.
That's better. You'd be better off leaving the plates unhooked then powering them by the deck. They'll sound horrible off of deck power.

Another important thing is the budget. That could change things completely.

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got ~$500 maybe a little more to spend on the 2 amps.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
You could get a couple MTX amps with that. I never was much on them until I heard a few of them. I think they're a little underestimated.

JL amps would be good, but you'd have to buy used, and I think that would be a little over the $500. 300/2 and 500/1.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
ehh you got a point, but when space is tight like it is with NBS trucks...

I'm selling all my Kicker stuff because it's too tight of a fit. I'd rather have 1 5-channel amp for space reasons, plus SPL isn't a concern.

JoeJ: I wish today's amps were as nice as those old PPI's.

Any of the older ZR line?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I don't have much experience with the Infinity amps, but I have heard that the e series JL's suck ass.

Eric: I worked at a dealer a few years ago that sold the Kicker amps when they were ZR's and they were very powerful. Nice amps in their time. You had to have those plug-in crossovers though, and if you changed things up quite a bit you'd have to have different modules.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts