GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I'm not too fond of cutting holes in my doors for 6.5" speakers, especially since there is alot of work involved in it and i'm not too sure of the results. I'm warming up to the idea of these in my dash though to replace the shitty pioneers that are in there now:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YOTSAL...1400&I=1084625CFP&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

But, my head unit is never going to push 60 watts to them, not even if i feed it extra wheaties, so I need an amp. I need something small in size because I want to stash it behind a body panel somewhere, I don't like loosing room to audio equipment. I've grabbed a couple off crutchfield here that got my attention, what do yall think?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YOTSAL...=110&I=500MRPT220&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YOTSAL...=110&I=113KAC6201&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YOTSAL...3&g=110&I=236T202&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

don't worry i don't plan on buying at crutchfield, i just like their interface :crazy:

On the same note....how are these things? From the description it fits exactly what I want it to do, and if it doesn't I'll probably be building something like it myself...

http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLAEQS744

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
mtx is crap. kenwood is good, but alpine rocks. i'd go with the alpine 50x2. i have those speakers in my rear doors, they're sweet.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i have the 4x6s in my rear doors and the 6.5s up front man the 6.5s kick fucking ass but the 4x6s are damn good toooo

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason I have for going for the 6.5" speakers in the doors is more bass. But, eventually I'm planning on putting a sub in somewhere or another, so I don't think bass is going to be an issue, hence the 4x6's that do nice mids and highs. Also is the alpine at 50 watts enough to do the infinitys that want 60? or am I just too picky :crazy:

any thoughts on that EQ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check out Audio Control for a sure enough bad ass EQ. The EQL should do you just fine. Here it is:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Equalizers/EQL.html

Also I just checked these out and they are the best I have seen for the $ (and I am really partial to JBL). Find the new GTO 75x4. It is a true 75 by 4 RMS (most amps are rated at their max output) They are also really clean.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
therealgeronimo said:
Check out Audio Control for a sure enough bad ass EQ. The EQL should do you just fine. Here it is:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Equalizers/EQL.html

Also I just checked these out and they are the best I have seen for the $ (and I am really partial to JBL). Find the new GTO 75x4. It is a true 75 by 4 RMS (most amps are rated at their max output) They are also really clean.
I think that EQ is a bit more than what I'm looking for. It appears to have only one set out outputs, whereas I'm looking for something with 3 sets, a fader control and sub control. And thats way too many knobs...i'd go :crazy:...wait i already am....

That GTO looks like a nice amp, but my front speakers are going to want 60 watts, and my rears want 175 each, 75 x 4 won't work with that I don't think.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So you want to run two seperate amps? One front and one back? If I was going to spend the money on an eq I would buy audiocontrol and buy one of the stand alones, not the indash. It would allow you to cut out alot of frequencies that mid/highs shouldn't try to play. Allowing you to go louder with out distortion. It is actually pretty easy to set up even with all the knobs. If you are going to run two seperate amps use the imput on the amp to adjust your fade, once you have it set where you want it you should never have to change it unless you change a component of your system.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my plan: :insane: :crazy:

The amps that I'm looking at all have filters in them that would let me cut out frequencies the fronts shouldn't play. I already have an amp for the rear, but its kind of a POS that makes alot of fan noise under my drivers seat, I plan on either selling it or putting it on a sub, and replace it with a pair of amps, probably a stereo amp on either side in bridged mode, one for each speaker in the rear. This would allow me to install them under the cupholders in the back seat, out of the way and out of sight, which I can't do with just a single amp (it won't fit). I also have a goal to loose as little space and funtionality as possible, therefore I can't put anything under the back seat, and I'd prefer not to put anything under the front seats if I can help it (recovery gear goes there) The reason I want a fade control is because the system sounds completely different depending on whether I have the back seat down or not, and I'd like to be able to adjust for that easily. I'd also like to have an aux input, so I can easily plug in other sources than the head unit, such as the mp3 player i don't have or a laptop (or a portable cd player since my headunit is now just a radio...). Hence, that little clarion box, its got fade control, outputs for all speakers including a sub, an EQ, and a volume control. Chances are I'd mount it in a console or something. I'm just curious if its of any quality, or if theres anything else that does the same things. :insane:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Clarion makes good stuff, I personally haven't messed with it for a few years now. What about mounting your amps on the back of your rear seats? Also check out the audio control four.1i. It sounds like somthing that you might be looking for. I just have been real impressed with audio control's sound quality.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll check that out. The problem with mounting things on the back of my rear seat is that as soon as I lay down the seat to put something back there, i have amps in the way, and thats no good.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I've been MORE than pleased with my JL amps. I've used PPIs in the past and they are nice also.

Alpine's V12s are great, Xtants, Zapcos, etc.

What's the budget?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Lots of good amps out there! MTX is not as bad as you think, I don't give 2 S**** about the amp brand, its all based on THD...Total Harmonic Distortion, buying a good amp will get you a low one, whitch means its better...and it just so happens, that Alpine, JL, MTX, Kicker, Cadence, Rockford Fosgate, Clarion and Pioneer Premier have the LOWEST in the business. There are a few others, but those brands are the main ones you see....It also depends on you S/N Signal to Noise Ratio...this is basically you accuracy.......100DB is about 100% accurate in sound reproduction. I have read that as long as its like 75 or better, you can't even tell the diffrence....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts