GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 Sierra extended cab and does anyone know exactly where the factory amp is located ? I need info on this and just to clarify it is NOT a Yukon or a suburban.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I’d say you can’t find it because it doesn’t exist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok makes sense, but I was told that it was behind the glove box so I did check and I found something that resembles a silver box that might be a amp and my front speakers in the doors go out but when I bang on the what I thought was the app they come back on but then cut right back out but if I turn the knob to the back speakers only those stay on. So I don't know if that actually is the app or if it's located underneath my center console. I did put a double DIN stereo in the truck but have no sound and people are saying that's because of the factory amp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Was it the factory head unit you replaced?
Does the truck have the Bose option? I'm not sure if it was available for your year, I know newer trucks had it as an option, and I believe it does have a separate amp.
And how did you connect the stereo to the truck, did you cut into the harness or did you get a harness adapter so you can just plug that into the truck, and then wire up the stereo to the adapter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
you could have an amp behind the glove box, on the far right side, with the plugs facing the drivers side. it sounds like the amp is going out, it is 20years old, did its job. . it is possible only the fronts went out on the circuit board. you can either look for a new one on ebay or swap your deck and bypass the factory amp using Metra part # 70-2054

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts