GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, after i do the engine swap, my next project will be paint. I've been tossing around the idea of swapping to an 03-05 silverado front end. More and more i grow to dislike my front end and i really have began to like the silverados more than ever. I know that i'll need both fenders, a hood, headlight brackets, headlights/parking lamps, grille shell, bumper, and the frame horns. Are there any other items that I'm missing? Also, does anyone who's done the conversion have the part numbers (mylevl52, wagon boy, etc) thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's all you need. I am doing an 06 conversion myself with painted grille and ss bumper. Would sspend the extra cash and get the 2006 hood and grille instead of the 2003-2005 while you are at it.

Here are some pics of mine.. currently getting painted Victory Red.
PICT0085.jpg

I swapped out my stepside as well because I like fleetside way better.

PICT0090.jpg

PICT0084.jpg

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
You know after looking at COdy's truck in the for sale section, I was thinking the exact same thing abotu swapping over to the 03-06 Chevy fron instead of the GMC front. It would be an expensive project, but in my opinion it would be worth it in the end.

Chris
Acro Texas

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tuckin22s, trucks going to look nice man! i know everyone likes the 06 front ends but i'd just rather go with the 03-05 fronts as i like them better:imo did you buy these parts from GM or did you pick them up from different sources? also if you dont mind, can you let me know approximately how much $$ you have into it? PM me if you want. Thanks man:shake:

Chris, i agree man, i too really like this front end. its awkward though because i absolutely hated it when the 03's came out. i honestly thought GM had ruined these trucks!:jester:

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the fenders are like 200-250 and the SS bumber cover with brakets is 400+ and the stock bumber for under the cover is also like 350-400 but you can find a scratched bumber off ebay for 100. You dont see it so it dont realy mater. All factory Gm parts of course.
thanks man:shake: im just trying to get a good idea of the cost and the part numbers for the items. i doubt i do the SS cover though:imo

·
Registered
42 Posts
tuckin22s, trucks going to look nice man! i know everyone likes the 06 front ends but i'd just rather go with the 03-05 fronts as i like them better:imo did you buy these parts from GM or did you pick them up from different sources? also if you dont mind, can you let me know approximately how much $$ you have into it? PM me if you want. Thanks man:shake:

Ok here is how much I spent on parts.

2006 Oem hood- $370 from dealership
Aftermarket fenders- $150 for pair (really good quality though)
Headlights- $90 for pair aftermarket from local new collision parts store
Parking lamps- $40 for pair from same source as headlights
Plastic mounts for headlights- $25 for both sides, same source
Oem used bumper (not pictured)- $70 from a friend
Oem SS bumper cover (no brackets or ducts)- $220 shipped from ebay
OEM 2006 grille shell- $200 shipped from ebay.

Total not including paint-------> $945
with SS bumper-----------> $1165 but still need ducts

Anybody have any used ducts or new ones for a cheap price to help me finish off my project.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does the header panel from my 02 need to be changed out for a 03+ panel or no?:think:

·
Candy Corn Harvester...
6,656 Posts
well im almost done getting all my stuff to put my front on, gonna have a storm gray 03 :) heres what i paid
100 bucks oem hood mint
headlights 65 or 70 off ebay
turns off ebay 30
fenders 298 delivered
headers for lights 32 off ebay
oem bumper pad 42 bucks new
still need chrome bumper, valance, framehorns, and a grille. soon if it wasnt 27 degress out, i'd be out there now oh well
PS get a copy of Truckin No. 2, 2007 page 142--SS FRONT END SWAP-- excellent how to

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well im almost done getting all my stuff to put my front on, gonna have a storm gray 03 :) heres what i paid
100 bucks oem hood mint
headlights 65 or 70 off ebay
turns off ebay 30
fenders 298 delivered
headers for lights 32 off ebay
oem bumper pad 42 bucks new
still need chrome bumper, valance, framehorns, and a grille. soon if it wasnt 27 degress out, i'd be out there now oh well
PS get a copy of Truckin No. 2, 2007 page 142--SS FRONT END SWAP-- excellent how to
thanks man. what year is your truck? also, chev/gmc? you too had to swap the header panel, correct?

·
Candy Corn Harvester...
6,656 Posts
thanks man:shake:
:bowtie:

the only things i dont know, are do i need any specials clips for the newer grille? will the rods that hold my headlights in now work on the newer ones? will the hood insulation on my current hood fit the 04 hood? how does the newer bumper go on ? :think: other than that i'm set, i think :think:

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with the newer bumper, you'll need to get the 03+ frame horns. you'll have to cut the old ones off and weld the new ones on:shake:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
As far as the pins that hold the light in, I believe they will work, but you only need one per side. On Dad's 03, his had one that slides in horizontally versus 2 that drop straight down.

Chris
Acro Texas

·
Candy Corn Harvester...
6,656 Posts
with the newer bumper, you'll need to get the 03+ frame horns. you'll have to cut the old ones off and weld the new ones on:shake:
i knew that, i mean after that. do i mount the bucket brackets to the framehorns and then bolt the bumper to brackets? and the bumper cap covers the holes or what? anyone know for sure?:hmm:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts