GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
GMFS Resident Drunk Guy
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*UPDATED* Another 4L60E problem thread...

Rather than try and explain what it's doing, I'll just show you. This only happens in second gear, when taking off more than 1/4 throttle. Feels like it's slipping when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, and when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Also, obviously when in 2nd and WOT from 50mph (in video).

I'm hoping it's not time for a new tranny, cause I don't have ANY money to fix the damn thing. What do you guys think of this?

th_100_1452.gif

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Slipping.. It will only get worse from here. I would take it into a reputable shop and have them check it out before it gets worse.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Fluid level? Condition? Mileage on unit? Stock apply servo?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm putting my vote in for slipping. I just had my trans replaced on my car, 4L60e also. I got sick of only gettin 9mpg in the daily driver.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Def. stay out of it from now on if you can.

·
GMFS Resident Drunk Guy
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fluid level? Condition? Mileage on unit? Stock apply servo?
Fluid's actually a little over full (not much) for some reason. Last time I checked it, there were a few bubbles on the stick, but it wasn't overly foamy. Looked fine, not burnt, didn't smell burnt or anything.

It's got about 55K on this tranny (replaced the original at 50K when 3rd and 4th went). Swapped over the stock torque converter from the original tranny. Other than that, it hasn't been touched.

I doubt it would help, but do you think it would be worth it to flush it and change the filter to see if it improved?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Fluid's actually a little over full (not much) for some reason. Last time I checked it, there were a few bubbles on the stick, but it wasn't overly foamy. Looked fine, not burnt, didn't smell burnt or anything.

It's got about 55K on this tranny (replaced the original at 50K when 3rd and 4th went). Swapped over the stock torque converter from the original tranny. Other than that, it hasn't been touched.

I doubt it would help, but do you think it would be worth it to flush it and change the filter to see if it improved?
personally, i've always heard horror stories about changing fluid. i hear only to do so if it was routinely serviced its entire life:imo

·
Registered
807 Posts
same exact thing happened to my 4L60e the 2nd gear started slipping...so i was real easy on the gas and it still blew within 3 weeks(1000miles) later. i would deff recommend NOT changing the fluid if it hasnt been changed in 55K...

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
little OT, but as far as i know i am on my original tranny. last oil change the guy said it looked clean, and i checked it myself before he checked it and it looked good but i am no expert.

now, the truck has 120K. should i get the fluid changed or just leave it? it doesnt slip or anything that i have noticed but when it is cold it goes into gear pretty hard

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm still fighting with the same problem. Downshifting from 50 @ WOT causes the revs to go to 5500-5700 before slamming into 2nd. It was doing this before I had the trans rebuilt, it does it still after having the trans rebuilt. Arrrgh! I'll let you know if I solve it.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Band clearance okay? Maybe the servo is leaking internally.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Carey, cold, these things will act up. You've gotten great mileage. Leave it alone, IMO.

And for anyone else with 4L60E issues, the best thing to do is diconnect from engine, take it out back, and but a couple of rounds in it.

·
GMFS Resident Drunk Guy
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Band clearance okay? Maybe the servo is leaking internally.
Any info on how to check? Every bad thing I've personally ever heard about these transmissions usually has to do with blowing out 3rd and 4th gear. I didn't think I'd have a problem with it slipping in 2nd.

I don't want to necessarily take the cheapest way out, but I'm seriously broke (got $35 to last me until next paycheck, a week from today), and don't want to spend any more money than I have to.

I also can't have my truck down for more than a day. I'm only off on Tuesday's and Sunday's, and don't have another ride to work.

And for anyone else with 4L60E issues, the best thing to do is diconnect from engine, take it out back, and but a couple of rounds in it.
:word: Believe me, I'd like to... :pissed:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Carey, cold, these things will act up. You've gotten great mileage. Leave it alone, IMO.

:shake:

:word: Believe me, I'd like to... :pissed:
dont use all your ammo on yours...i think my 60e needs a couple rounds also...kind of like this:guns:.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
little OT, but as far as i know i am on my original tranny. last oil change the guy said it looked clean, and i checked it myself before he checked it and it looked good but i am no expert.

now, the truck has 120K. should i get the fluid changed or just leave it? it doesnt slip or anything that i have noticed but when it is cold it goes into gear pretty hard

When is the last time it was serviced? Worst case, drain a quart and put one in. Drive around for a day. Then repeat this for a few weeks. This will SLOWLY loosen up anything that could be lodged in there causing your issues instead of a large shock with fresh ATF and detergents.

Any info on how to check? Every bad thing I've personally ever heard about these transmissions usually has to do with blowing out 3rd and 4th gear. I didn't think I'd have a problem with it slipping in 2nd.

I don't want to necessarily take the cheapest way out, but I'm seriously broke (got $35 to last me until next paycheck, a week from today), and don't want to spend any more money than I have to.

I also can't have my truck down for more than a day. I'm only off on Tuesday's and Sunday's, and don't have another ride to work.

Well you're down shifting to 2nd... it could just be a tired band (VERY doubtful), an internal leak, or improper clearance.

If it's stock, toss in a $7 'Vette servo and see if that helps. It'll apply more pressure to the band and you'll be able to know for sure you have no piston circuit leaks with fresh o-rings.

Takes maybe 45min to install the fucker with a beer in one hand and a wrench in the other. :rofl2:

·
GMFS Resident Drunk Guy
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well you're down shifting to 2nd... it could just be a tired band (VERY doubtful), an internal leak, or improper clearance.

If it's stock, toss in a $7 'Vette servo and see if that helps. It'll apply more pressure to the band and you'll be able to know for sure you have no piston circuit leaks with fresh o-rings.

Takes maybe 45min to install the fucker with a beer in one hand and a wrench in the other. :rofl2:
Yeah, it only happens when in second gear or up/down shifting to 2nd gear. Got a part number on the 'Vette servo? And I'm assuming you don't have to drop the tranny to install if it only takes 45 minutes.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah, it only happens when in second gear or up/down shifting to 2nd gear. Got a part number on the 'Vette servo? And I'm assuming you don't have to drop the tranny to install if it only takes 45 minutes.

Not handy, you can get it from places like bulkpart.com or transmissionpartsusa.com OR your local dealer. Up to you.

No trans drop, no pan drop.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
When is the last time it was serviced? Worst case, drain a quart and put one in. Drive around for a day. Then repeat this for a few weeks. This will SLOWLY loosen up anything that could be lodged in there causing your issues instead of a large shock with fresh ATF and detergents.
i dont know when the last time it was serviced. that is the problem. im going to change the diff fluid and get a coolant flush but i just dont know what to do with the tranny. i dont have any service records.

oh, and FYI, that is 120K kilometers, thats around 65k miles i think :jester:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
i dont know when the last time it was serviced. that is the problem. im going to change the diff fluid and get a coolant flush but i just dont know what to do with the tranny. i dont have any service records.

oh, and FYI, that is 120K kilometers, thats around 65k miles i think :jester:

65k isn't much, if it was at least once (sounds like it) go ahead and service the fucker. :imo

1 - 20 of 36 Posts