GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl's 5.3L '01 ECSB Z71 has a worsening belt squeak. I've replaced both belts, and the tensioner pulley, and nothing has fixed the problem. It'll go away for a day, or get quieter, but it's always there. It increases with throttle, barely noticeable at idle.

Any ideas?

-bZj

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Also look at the alternator pulley, Crankshaft, etc. See, if while running, you can see anything off. Any shaking in the belt? Also be sure no "junk" is on the pulleys. They can pic up some crap from time to time that cause a squeal. belt dressing might be a temp fix.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Voltages seem fine, I don't know what other paces to put it through. While running, the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine, but that's all I got. nothing seems out of whack. I've also used plenty of belt dressing.

-bZj

·
Registered
25 Posts
take the belt off and use cleaner and wipe down the pullies...thats a very common mistake people do when they replace their belts, they dont clean them off. Also, what brand belts are you using?

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gatorbacks in place. :)

Had the alt checked - no squeak during testing.

Her power steering pump has always sucked, and I'm wondering if the slightly larger tires have finally put it over the edge. The PS pulley has a tiny bit of play in it. I don't have the tools it looks like it requires for removal, so I think I'll have to take it to someone. Weak.

-bZj

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Rent a puller, the rest are just fittings and bolts that can be done with your regular hand tools.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll check into that, Kyle.

Thanks,
-bZj

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I cant even get my belt off due to my tensioner being so stiff, it wont even budge...any ideas? would WD-40 ruin anythng around there?

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
put a pipe on the end of the ratchet to get more torque, take the belt off. spin all the pulleys. my alternator pulley had a small squeak to it, so i had that replaced. the main squeak however was due to the belt being too tight. when i gave it more gas it was louder, and barely noticeable at idle. i replaced the belt again, even tho it was new, with a slightly larger belt. less tension on the pulleys and the tensioner was in its correct place, no more squeak :)

check that, cuz it sounds like the same problem i had

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weird, but it developed on her previous belt, and continued witha new belt. I wouldn't think the old belt would have tightened.

-bZj

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
hmm, idk then. when i bought mine, they put a new belt on it, but it was about 1/2" too short. so i got another one and it hasent squeaked yet.

get a stethascope (sp?) and listen to all the pulleys. just be careful around the belt and fan, u dont want it pulling u in :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts