GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have exactly $484.25 and that is it. My Dr. has me on no work and It looks like I will be off for about a year, any how enough about that I am looking for a good cam used or not used preferably so I will have some money well maybe a dollar or two, I have been told that a 224/224 will be my best bet for a smog legal cam in Cali

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
a cam is going to cost you A LOT more than just $484.25, that will barely cover the cam itself. Not including springs, pushrods, a higher stall torque convertor, and a tune to make it all run. Not to mention without headers your basically only going to get about 25-30 horse out of the swap. I have a cam, springs, stall on the way to my house now and the total is already $860 and I still need to order more parts. Keep your money saved up for an emergency or something. Your going to need a lot more then that.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
idk, i'm in the market for a cam as well... but your 94 sounds :boobs:
thanks and it passed SMOG in calif with the NO2 bottel in the front seat LOL

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
a cam is going to cost you A LOT more than just $484.25, that will barely cover the cam itself. Not including springs, pushrods, a higher stall torque convertor, and a tune to make it all run. Not to mention without headers your basically only going to get about 25-30 horse out of the swap. I have a cam, springs, stall on the way to my house now and the total is already $860 and I still need to order more parts. Keep your money saved up for an emergency or something. Your going to need a lot more then that.
or you can go with a slightly smaller used cam, still get results, not NEED a stall verter...The biggest deciding factor will be your tune...do you already have one? if so, just get a new one done for the new cam...btw, you CAN find deals for under 400$ for cam, springs, and pushrods. Ive heard you can use a stock tune with a small cam, but you won't get everything out of it...also, a stall verter is a good idea, and w/o one you wont get off the line too well.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
or you can go with a slightly smaller used cam, still get results, not NEED a stall verter...The biggest deciding factor will be your tune...do you already have one? if so, just get a new one done for the new cam...btw, you CAN find deals for under 400$ for cam, springs, and pushrods. Ive heard you can use a stock tune with a small cam, but you won't get everything out of it...also, a stall verter is a good idea, and w/o one you wont get off the line too well.
you could always do that but whats the point if your not going to get any power out of it.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
First -

what powerband are you looking to achieve?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
save your money until you can do it right. you'd be better off saving your money until you can get like $1,000 or more saved up, then get the cam, springs, rods, and stall you want instead of settling now. :imo

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
look around on performancetrucks.net or ls1tech.com

I bought my comp 224/224 on 112 lsa, manley valve springs, and hardened pushrods for $350 shipped for everything.

You can find good deals if you look around.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
you could always do that but whats the point if your not going to get any power out of it.
because a mild cam will pull better all throughout...Once you get it spinning up, it doesn't matter if its a 1500 rpm converter or 3000 rpm stall converter, if its past 3000 rpms, its gonna pull the same...Might not pull AS hard off the line as it could, but from a slow roll, it should act about the same...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not that good on looking for shit but i want a 224/224 cam and som comp 918 springs if any one can finde them for a good price used or new plz let me know i am still looking.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
im not that good on looking for shit but i want a 224/224 cam and som comp 918 springs if any one can finde them for a good price used or new plz let me know i am still looking.
on ls1tech.com there are several 224/224 cams for sale for about 250-300, springs will be around 100

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Uh, what?
spending the money and time to put a small cam in by itself to me is just not worth it, why not wait and do it all and get twice the power from it. That's all I'm saying. To me it is not worth it but if that's what he wants to do then go for it. There are good deals out there though if you want cheap. You just have to look around.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
spending the money and time to put a small cam in by itself to me is just not worth it, why not wait and do it all and get twice the power from it. That's all I'm saying. To me it is not worth it but if that's what he wants to do then go for it. There are good deals out there though if you want cheap. You just have to look around.
well maybe in your eyes it isn't worth it but some people might like the idea of only having to spend $400 for a cam swap that's not big enough to need a converter.

A smaller cam may not make as much power but it's much easier to drive than a big cam, you don't have to buy a converter and some of them can run on stock tunes.

It's the same reason why people do a 6.0 swap as opposed to doing a 408 swap. You can get more power out of a 408, but 9 times out of 10 the cost is too much and there are other deciding factors.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666384

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638083

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645832

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657548 (this would be the type of cam you are looking for to go with a stock stall)

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77536 (as he says in this thread this is a great cam for stock manifolds, so you wouldnt need headers)

these are just a few I found in a few minutes. There are good deals to be found if you look hard enough but FYI a 224 cam or something of that nature will definitely need a stall, it's always good to go with a bigger stall if you can. Just trying to help dude dont take my other comments the wrong way. Just not how I would do it that's all.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
well maybe in your eyes it isn't worth it but some people might like the idea of only having to spend $400 for a cam swap that's not big enough to need a converter.

A smaller cam may not make as much power but it's much easier to drive than a big cam, you don't have to buy a converter and some of them can run on stock tunes.

It's the same reason why people do a 6.0 swap as opposed to doing a 408 swap. You can get more power out of a 408, but 9 times out of 10 the cost is too much and there are other deciding factors.
I know there are deals out there and I know a small cam would help but he isnt talking about a small cam. He wants to go with a 224 or something of that nature and that would suck to drive on a stock stall as you have recently experienced. I know that there are plenty of small cams out there he can go with and run on a stock tune and make some better midrange power. To me it is just an effort thing, you put that effort forward with minimal results. Dont bash me for it, just my opinion that's all. I still tried finding the guy some good deals.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
FYI a 224 cam or something of that nature will definitely need a stall, it's always good to go with a bigger stall if you can.
You are definantly right about that. I would certainly know too.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
You have a 6.0 so I dont think you need a stall for a 224 cam or something a little smaller.

Look for something like a 220/224 or equal with a 114 LSA. If you can find a 218/220 that would be perfect for a 4by with a 6.0.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts