GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Silverado 5.3L with 34,000 on it has a leaky water pump gasket. Sounds like these gaskets are a common problem on the 5.3L. I wonder if the fact that I just flushed my system using Radiator Flush had anything to so with the premature gasket failure. Doesn't matter, because it's not going to stop leaking.

I'm not excited to do it, but it'll be easier then doing a w/p and timing chain on a Ford 5.0, I just hope my regasketing holds, I hate doing stuff 2 and 3 times over.

mini :rant: over.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
water pumps are stupid easy to do on those motors...get to it.

OEM gaskets leaking?? the ones that came off my 5.3 and the ones i put back on look to be designed very well so long as the bolts are torqued correctly.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
When you look under the hood of these trucks, it's a home mechanics dream. Everything is so easy to work on / replace ( compared to other trucks ). Triple check your seals, gaskets and torque when putting it on. Use some gasket sealer. I mainly use it as something sticky to hold the gasket in place when swapping something. Keeping the gaskets straight is probably the most careful part of swapping.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gravy baby, 1 hr 15 min and $8 and i'm done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts