GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased my '98 yukon and i just realized that it has the green stuff in the radiator. my question is how do i flush the whole entire cooling system including the engine to get every last drop of the green stuff out? please help me!!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Lots and lots and lots of water. There are also a couple of drain plugs on the engine itself to get it out of the block.

On another note...why? There really isn't anything wrong with the green stuff on the older engines, its what mines got. Here at philmont we only change them over if we have to do something major, like replace a radiator or an engine, other than that we just have a stockpile of green stuff next to our 55 gallon drum of orange stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't dexcool meant for our engines though??? what are the pros and cons of dexcool vs. the green stuff? where are the drain plugs at on the block?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm really not sure when they started putting dexcool in, somewhere around '99 comes to mind. Best bet would be to check your owners manual and see what it specifies. I know mine doesn't specify it, but its a '94.

I'll dig out the service manual, I know I found them on mine, but they were hard to get to and extremely tight too, so i never got them out.

EDIT: Looks like the drain plugs are on the engine block on the drivers side between cylinders 5 and 7 forward of the oil filter. There may be one on the other side, but the service manual doesn't show a picture of that side.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dex cool came out before 99, its in mine and my dads (97 and 98). U can run the green stuff if u get all the orange out. Dex cool is supposed to last longer but it gums up really bad. Keep the green.

·
Registered
601 Posts
'96 was dexcool. (Same time as vortech motors) It doesn't harm anything to use green, you just have a shorter life of the antifreeze. However, you can;t use dexcool in anything that uses green. Dexcool also gums up with mixed with air. If you get a leak it can really gum up. It also turns corrosive if used for too long. I will say that I have not had an issue with dexcool either.

lots of people argue each way, so it's really up to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts