GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im tearing out my system and rebuilding the box. Now...my question is...What size alternator and battery setup do i need to run to keep everything running smoothly? Now that you know the question here is what im planning on running....

3 L5 kicker solobarics
1 Rockford Fosgate BD.1000
1 Xtant 1001D
1 Xtant 302a
2 Focal 6.5" Mids and highs
2 55 watt reverse lights
7 (yes 7) 150 watt KC or Hella lights
1 15k Winch

So....i will never be running them all at once...but i want to be able to run all of those things (winch excluded) trouble free at the same time if necessary. I have already planned to run dual yellow tops and a high amp alternator ( i.e. one out of an ambulance that produces close to 300 amps) Any suggestions things i need to worry about etc????

·
Registered
50 Posts
sounds like you have done your homework. Keeping the yellows in back for that little bee bop in the parking lot or pump it up contest is a must.

We will of course require that you provide pics...

Kyle

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well itll be a while before i can post up some pics. Im picking up my third sub in the next few days then im taking the entire interior out...rewiring...building new box etc... Im also most likely going to use two xtant 1001ds instead of a bd1000 and an xtant. Hopefully my box will turn out good seeing as how this will be the first time i use a table saw to build a box.....I have been building em for 6 yrs and been using a circular saw :superhack :uhoh2:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well right now i have a 200 amp or 150 amp circuit breaker....and it handles my 302a and bd1000 fine...so ill prob upgrade to Ought(or however you spell it) gauge wire for that. Think i should keep my stock battery and run the system and such off the optimas? I have anywhere from 4- double ought gauge wire at my house...think id need any bigger?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Just so you know that winch pulls an insane amount of power, like 400+ amps at full load. You will need at least dual yellow tops and a high amp alternator. The reason why I think im going to use a hydro winch.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dunno when i will sell my alternator but it will be at some point. DE i was unaware that that winch drew so much damn current...I may just go for the 12k i dunno yet. Shift everyone is going to say this is "80's" but im going to put in a rollbar and run 5 on that and two on my ranchhand. The ranchhand has mounts so i will put two 150 watt spots on it then on the rollbar two floods 150watt also facing forward then one flood facing the rear then the other two facing kinda the corners of the bed so i will have very close to 360 degree light coverage. I have been out in the field working or stuck in the mud and i never have enough light. so hopefully this will fix that prob!

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Eisenfaust said:
I dunno when i will sell my alternator but it will be at some point. DE i was unaware that that winch drew so much damn current...I may just go for the 12k i dunno yet. Shift everyone is going to say this is "80's" but im going to put in a rollbar and run 5 on that and two on my ranchhand. The ranchhand has mounts so i will put two 150 watt spots on it then on the rollbar two floods 150watt also facing forward then one flood facing the rear then the other two facing kinda the corners of the bed so i will have very close to 360 degree light coverage. I have been out in the field working or stuck in the mud and i never have enough light. so hopefully this will fix that prob!
cool... let me know when you do sell ur altenator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts