GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I took the screen out of mine and have had NO negative effects. It feels liek it could have improved throttle responce but thats about it.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
I took the screen out of mine and have had NO negative effects. It feels liek it could have improved throttle responce but thats about it.
Lean makes the car feel snappier at part throttle and people interpret this as better performance. But it does not necessarily mean that true WOT output
is improved; only if you dont get knock retard!

I just dont think its a good idea in the long run.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've seen more negative results than positive with this mod. If your maf does happen go out, the Z06 maf is a nice replacement.

later,

allen

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i did that mod... i didn't notice any adverse affects.. I kindof wanna get a rental truck and switch out my maf since i've heard horror stories.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
i did that mod... i didn't notice any adverse affects.. I kindof wanna get a rental truck and switch out my maf since i've heard horror stories.
I was going to do that if any of my coils ever went bad :naughty: , just have to keep thinking of the trouble I'd get into if I ever got caught, that stops me :mad:

D

·
0 Posts
I took mine out and have nothing bad happen.
Just blow into the screen and put your hand over it and move the screen up and down and just find out how much air is blocked by that screen. Kinda like a stock catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Took mine out over a year ago and no problems, it felt like it had alittle more throttle response.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
quiksilverz71 said:
Took mine out over a year ago and no problems, it felt like it had alittle more throttle response.
Lean makes the truck feel snappier at part throttle and people interpret this as better performance. But it does not necessarily mean that true WOT output is improved; only if you dont get knock retard!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea dont worry about everything getting screwed up by it. I have had it done to my truck for over 18 months an have never had a problem. So go for it.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Z71bigchevy said:
Yea dont worry about everything getting screwed up by it. I have had it done to my truck for over 18 months an have never had a problem. So go for it.
Its not gonna hurt anything. But do some logging and I guarantee your running lean. That MAF is calibrated for a certain GM/sec across the filaments. You take the screen out of it you change its flow characteristics. Unless you are gonna tune to accomodate the altered MAF, your LTrms and 02 millivolts will be off. Might even get a little KR. If you had AutoTap and did some logging. Then you looked at say LTrms. - LTrms means your running rich. + LTrms means your running lean. So it might be +10 on your LTFT's. Then to get it back down you scale the MAF table by a value of 110 (increases the table values by 10%), which will decrease LTFT's approximately -10%. It may take a couple tries. 95 (95% multiplier decreases table values by 5%), which would raise LTFT's approximately +5%. You want LTrms to be zero at WOT. To some this doesnt seem like much to worry about. But when it comes to getting a good tune, LTrms are somewhat important.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I ordered my Wester's I told Lyndon that I had de-screened the MAF. Only problem is thats it's been too cold lately and I've been lazy so I haven't pulled it out yet. I was looking at the knock sensor with the tech 2(from work, all in the name of figuring out how to use it :evillol: ) and it was showing 70-80 counts if I remeber correctly. I'm going to bring it home with me again tomorrow and write it down what it's saying. I'm thinkin I might be removing the screen tomorrow :superhack

·
Registered
94 Posts
no downside to pulling the screen out unless you have no filter and something gets sucked in and hits those wires

Look at aftermarket MAFs, they dont have screens for a reason, more air = good

I've been running w/o one ever since I got this truck, over 2 years ago, no codes, no negative side effect

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
DUBrado said:
no downside to pulling the screen out unless you have no filter and something gets sucked in and hits those wires

Look at aftermarket MAFs, they dont have screens for a reason, more air = good

I've been running w/o one ever since I got this truck, over 2 years ago, no codes, no negative side effect
Have you logged to see if your getting any KR? Aftermarket MAF's are calibrated for the absence of the screen. The stocker isnt.

DUB,
You got any more pics of your truck?? Looks good with the drop man!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts