GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting one of these to replace my truck once it's gone. I'll probably end up buying new, but a used 2007.5 or 2008 might work too. Any of you have one? What do you think?

If I go with a Chevy I'll be getting an LT model. If I get a GMC, it'll be an SLE. I really don't like the LTZ/SLT interior. I've driven my dad's 07 Tahoe several times and the interior is very uncomfortable to me.

Either way, it'll be a crew cab short box 4x4. Eventually I'll look at pulling off the DPF system and tuning it, but it will stay relatively stock for the forseeable future. I'm looking at 3 colors: Deep Ruby/Sonoma Red (almost impossible to find), Blue Granite/Stealth Gray (slightly less impossible, but still rare), and Graystone/Steel Gray. I really like the Ebony/Light Cashmere interior, but the Light/Dark Titanium is ok as well. I don't care for the all black interior.

Anyway, just looking for opinions on the new trucks from those that have them and what any of you have gotten for deals on these.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
ive got 2 new body dmaxs and am happy with both of them.

i daily drive a 08 dually lt1 package 4x4 ebony interior and silver birch exterior....ive got the dpf off with a quad tune on 70 on 285/75/17 toyo muds. its a good truck and ive got 36k on it in alittle under a year and the only issues ive had is i had to replace the u-joints bout 2k ago but its probably becuase of the driving conditions im in and also had a bearing go out on my rear axle but i think it was a fluke.

my other dmax is the one in my sig which isnt driven much ltz interior fully loaded. havent had any issues with it

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
ive got 2 new body dmaxs and am happy with both of them.

i daily drive a 08 dually lt1 package 4x4 ebony interior and silver birch exterior....ive got the dpf off with a quad tune on 70 on 285/75/17 toyo muds. its a good truck and ive got 36k on it in alittle under a year and the only issues ive had is i had to replace the u-joints bout 2k ago but its probably becuase of the driving conditions im in and also had a bearing go out on my rear axle but i think it was a fluke.

my other dmax is the one in my sig which isnt driven much ltz interior fully loaded. havent had any issues with it
i wish you would have left your truck along it was tits.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Our 08 2500HD Dmax has been a pile of dogshit...i'd suggest buying an 06 pre-certified low mileage dmax instead.

Then again my issues are strictly related to cold weather, so im biased i s'pose. We've put 4 fuel filters on our 08 this year opposed to 1 on my 06 lbz.

Otherwise, its a good truck...ride is alot better and the interior is way better than my 06 is (its got the light tan-ish color leather interior, heated seats, 14 way power seats, everything but rear dvd system.

My main issue with the truck as a whole, is the rearend sits so damned high even my being 6'4 its a pain to get into the bed with the tailgate down.

I still would take my 06's 24mpg over our 08's 17.5mpg anyday though...so far our 08 is lucky to get 350-400miles on its small 19 gallon tank, compared to my 25 gallon where im at 500miles and still have over 1/4tank left.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone. I'd imagine that the fuel economy issue is due to the DPF system and could be improved by removing it and doing a good tune. I did not realize that the 2500's only had a 19 gallon tank though - that's pretty weak. Somethign else to look at I guess.

I've thought about getting a GMT800 truck, but I already have one and I really want something that's a different and newer.

·
Say no to color matching.
671 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I'd imagine that the fuel economy issue is due to the DPF system and could be improved by removing it and doing a good tune. I did not realize that the 2500's only had a 19 gallon tank though - that's pretty weak. Somethign else to look at I guess.

I've thought about getting a GMT800 truck, but I already have one and I really want something that's a different and newer.
Do some reading over at dieselplace.com. I thought the short beds have 24 gal tanks. I know mine does.

·
We Are Young Country
1,716 Posts
i drove a 08 and i hated it compared to my cummins....im not tryin to start a argument over which is better. i test drove a 06 duramax, and really liked it, it felt great to drive. I just prefer the 5.9 cummins. everyone has opinions though.

i felt like the 08 just didnt have the power of the 06 i drove. neither had a gooseneck in the bed so i didnt get to tow with it. I'd like to pull our trailer and feel it compared to my truck.
If i was you, i would venture out and read about other trucks. It depends on what your going to be doing with the truck also. Duramax's are the fastest stock trucks out there, hands down. but when it comes to pulling, I think the cummins still has everyone beat (and its a real diesel, inline 6). and well i have never done anything with a powerjoke, so i dont know about them. My friend pulls a 35 gooseneck with his powerjoke everyday and has no complaints except his alternator shits out about 2 times every 6 months. haha.

One last thing, the 08 i drove got shit for mileage compared to my truck or the 06

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the new GMT 900 trucks and the duramax makes it even better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts