GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replacing my current set up which is - 18x10 American Eagle 102 wheels wrapped with 325/65/18 Nitto TerraGrappler tires (35s). The AE102s are nice but I don't have the time to keep the looking as good as I like so I'm going to go with a set of chrome wheels. I think I've decided on the 17x10" Weld Evo Renegades. Nitto doesn't have a big enough tire to go with these so I'm looking for suggestions. I'll probably go with 36s and might consider 37s. I really can't go much higher without attracting the wrong kind of attention. I want something that looks fairly aggressive but is quiet on the street. It's very rare that I go offroad so that isn't really a concern.

Thanks!
Tom

2002 8.1 Silverado HD - Comp Cam, TOGs headers, Volant induction, Direct Hits ignition, 8" lift 18" wheels/tires + more
2002 8.1 Suburban -Intercooled Whipple supercharger, TOGs headers, Volant induction, 22" wheels/tires + more - 407hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels.

www.tbyrnemotorsports.com

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Try looking into X-Terrains and Swamper STS. The XTs will be louder but also are more agressive.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
x terrains are far from a quiet tire compared to an AT.

all the reviews in magazines rate them as quieter than the BFG MT, but i find them to be the exact same.

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
I don't care what kinda tire you get, once it gets half worn it's gonna be loud as hell whether its A/T or M/T. I'd suggest STS's or X-Terrains

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I'll check some of those out. My Nittos doesn't make any noise so I'd like the next set to be the same way. I saw a review on the Mickey Thompson Dick Cepek tires. Their also supposed to be good for street use.

2002 8.1 Silverado HD - Comp Cam, TOGs headers, Volant induction, Direct Hits ignition, 8" lift 18" wheels/tires + more
2002 8.1 Suburban -Intercooled Whipple supercharger, TOGs headers, Volant induction, 22" wheels/tires + more - 407hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels.

www.tbyrnemotorsports.com

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
i think my STS's are louder than my old x-terrains, but i like the hum of the STS

·
6,656 Posts
Ive riden on STS and XTs, the XTs have a different sound than the STS, so me the XTs are louder, but you be your own judge, its just a different kind of sound. Either way, big tires are typically going to be loud. You will be very hard pressed to find something as quiet as the Nittos.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I thought nitto made a 37-14-18 in the grappler like what bogey is running now... Why not go that route if they make that rim in a 18x10...

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
depends what you want to use them for. for looks, anything will work. trXus MTs are quiet for a mud tire and they rock in mud and on the rocks.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Send your 35"s this way. :bowtie:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought nitto made a 37-14-18 in the grappler like what bogey is running now... Why not go that route if they make that rim in a 18x10...
I've been tossing this idea around too. There isn't alot of tire options available for the larger wheels so I rather go with 16 or 17". The Renegades aren't available in 16" so that bumps me up to 17.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've looked at the Trxus STS tires but don't really like the design (at least not for my truck :) ). Pro Comp's thread design seems to be pretty aggressive. How are these on the street?

2002 8.1 Silverado HD - Comp Cam, TOG headers, Volant induction, Direct Hits ignition, 8" lift 18" wheels/tires + more
2002 8.1 Suburban -Intercooled Whipple supercharger, TOG headers, Volant induction, 22" wheels/tires + more - 407hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels.

·
6,656 Posts
The X-Terrains do really well on the street actually, better than I thought they would when I first got them. They have some noise to them but not much more than the STS

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The wheels look good but I think I prefer the Renegades. I like the tire design! :)

2002 8.1 Silverado HD - Comp Cam, TOG headers, Volant induction, Direct Hits ignition, 8" lift 18" wheels/tires + more
2002 8.1 Suburban -Intercooled Whipple supercharger, TOG headers, Volant induction, 22" wheels/tires + more - 407hp/558 ft-lb torque at the rear wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts