Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another "noob" post, sorry

never done it before but i have a understanding on whats down there and how to do it. i figure the worst thing that can happen is i break a bolt off.

make sure I don't cross the plugs
make sure no shit gets in the ports while cleaning the block

think i should get new collector gaskets?

i need to get a good jack and some jack stands, and probably a longer adapter for my ratchet

i've heard soaking the bolts in PB blaster the night before helps getting the bolts out

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Put anti-seize on the plugs.

Use stock gaskets on the flange that mates to the head. I prefer aluminum gaskets for the collector flanges.

·
GMFS Senior Member
4,032 Posts
If you find a way to cross the plug wires, let me know!

What headers did you get? Slip fit collectors or flange?

Go ahead and pb blast your 02 sensors, header bolts should be ok.

Make sure you lift the truck high enough to put the headers in from under the truck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got hedman shorties, so it'll be an easy bolt up.

I got copper gaskets for the headers

·
Registered
654 Posts
I like stock gaskets for the heads and copper for the collectors. As mentioned above, use anti-seize on bolts and plugs.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Have fun with the back bolt on the driver side I just had to use a rachet ranch it took me longer to get it out then to get all the other bolts out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah yeah, i know.

you guys don't support true duals either :moon:

get over it :supergay:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking about it. I start the police academy in a couple months. I'll be doing a lot of highway driving in that time frame.

Sure, I looked at getting long tubes. I read a lot of info about longs and shorts. I don't want to listen to what you guys have to say on it. I know. We ALL know. Let it go.

my truck it 2500HD. It's not a race truck. It's a work truck. I don't think i need long tubes. It's a n/a 6.0 in a heavy vehicle. I just want a good sounding exhaust system that bolts up easy. If I got long tubes I'd go all the way and get something real nice, and honestly i'm not spending that into my work truck

you guys gonna repeat the "why duals are bad" speech?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I was thinking about it. I start the police academy in a couple months. I'll be doing a lot of highway driving in that time frame.

Sure, I looked at getting long tubes. I read a lot of info about longs and shorts. I don't want to listen to what you guys have to say on it. I know. We ALL know. Let it go.

my truck it 2500HD. It's not a race truck. It's a work truck. I don't think i need long tubes. It's a n/a 6.0 in a heavy vehicle. I just want a good sounding exhaust system that bolts up easy. If I got long tubes I'd go all the way and get something real nice, and honestly i'm not spending that into my work truck

you guys gonna repeat the "why duals are bad" speech?

If you think you know what you're doing, why are you asking for advice on something so damn simple? A heavier vehicle should be an arguement FOR longtubes, not against. You need all the help you can get down low and in the mid-range. You chose to half ass it, and now you're trying to justify it. Instead of taking the "know it all" attitude, perhaps you should sit back and listen to those of us who have actually done this MANY times before.

You're putting duals on it too? What size pipe? What are expecting to gain with these mods?

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
^^^^^HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH, Long tubes do nothing but hurt performance, with shorties and 4 inch true duals he should see at least 30mpg and 150hp gain, :rofl2:

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Definately spray some penetrating oil on the bolts on the collectors, I didn't but wished I had earlier. I had to use a torch to cut off one of the driver side nuts on the collectors. Otherwise as you may know already, got to pull the oil dipstick and disconnect the steering as well, or at least I had to. Good luck with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.