GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Parking garages ftl
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've got a CB radio post it up

I recently acquired a Cobra 29LX and installed it myself. However I'm having a hard time getting it tuned. I believe it could be either one of two things:
1. Antenna not grounded properly--Anybody have any advice on how to ground it effectively?
2. I have a firestick 'matchmaker' frequency splitter installed in series with the antenna, cb, and fm radio. Is it a limiting factor on my SWR? I got this because I broke my factory fm antenna mount and this was a cheaper solution. http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/AR-1A.htm

Here is my setup:
449223ef.jpg

9e89428f.jpg

7ca52ff5.jpg

39b8f1c2.jpg

I plan on re-mounting the mount higher up on the toolbox to get the antenna up higher soon. Reason why its mounted low on an adjustable mount is because I am in and out of parking garages for school.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Parking garages ftl
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been trying to tune it with the calibrate knob on the cb itself. Do I really need to get a $40 SWR meter?
With the truck off:
Got SWR less than 1.5 on channels 10-40
Got SWR greater than 2 on channels 1-10

With the truck on the SWR goes back above two on all channels.

I cant figure it out. And when I try to transmit with the truck on I get a "cb antenna warning" message. I have no idea how to tune the splitter--it has a screw for both cb and am tuning

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not shur about the antenna you have,but have delt with a lot of cb radios try taking it to the cb shop there at Hwy 301 Baldwin exit only like 8 -10 miles from I295 ON I10 WEST right across from exit ramp

·
Registered
29 Posts
id deffinatley get it checked at a shop those swr on the cb its self isnt that good. you cant adjust it with a knob its the ground plane and the put out of the antenna and location

·
Registered
86 Posts
And yeah you should definatly get a SWR meter, you can get em cheap at truck stops or try radio shack too.

·
Parking garages ftl
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe I will be changing the set up towards the end of the month. I really just think it could be not grounded well enough/high enough. I've tuned the tip to where it is about to come out of the antenna. I'm close to 1.2 on channel 19 so I'll just keep it there for the mean time.

Going to mount it up higher on a better mount. Then just get a quick disconnect attachment when I go into the parking garages. And surprisingly the splitter works pretty good for FM and CB at the same time. I know its not ideal though so I plan on getting a stock junkyard radio antenna mast base for the fm radio

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah i got tired of breaking those fiberglass antennas on garages and trees and stuff like that. 102" wire whip with a 6" spring mounted on the toolbox. Never breaks and gets out like hell! Love it.

·
Parking garages ftl
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got any pics of your set up?

I'm pretty happy with this wilson 4' flex. I purposely left it up in a parking garage once and it held up to the constant bashing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's mine

Cobra 29 Dale Jr Edition

radio4.jpg

Whip

radio2.jpg

radio1.jpg

Spring And Mount

radio3.jpg

And for the HAM's out there :)

radio5.jpg

radio6.jpg

Looks crazy cluttered from all the wires from my gps and phone and mp3 player lol

·
Parking garages ftl
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice set up. I am planning on mounting mine like that on a similar mount to my tool box as well. Did you have any trouble grounding it? Did you have to sand down any of the powder coat on the toolbox?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah i always go down to bare metal and put a copper grounding strap on it. Alum. strips work too.

·
Multiple GMFS owner
2,098 Posts

here is my mount this is on the dead antenna because it looks tardy with one

·
BackWoodsBoss
48 Posts
I just came all over the place from all these antennas!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts