GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Rona around Iv been claening out some old property my parents own, and found my dads old wellcraft boat in the woods, that I have paper work for.

Seriously thinking about taking the Mercruiser out and putting the 6.2 out my Monte Carlo in. I don’t really understand the cooling as Iv never had an in board boat.

Was thinking about taking out the passenger window and putting a radiator there. But it seems like no one does it on purpose.

Idk I’m board

·
Registered
649 Posts
Boats typically use water from the lake to cool the engine, so the whole lake is your radiator.

I had a Moomba with a 350 in it and it would pull water from the bottom of the boat and run it through the water pump and then the exhaust had fitting that would blow the water out the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boats typically use water from the lake to cool the engine, so the whole lake is your radiator.

I had a Moomba with a 350 in it and it would pull water from the bottom of the boat and run it through the water pump and then the exhaust had fitting that would blow the water out the exhaust manifold.
Problem is how much they want for LS marine manifolds. Was looking at just jacketing some Stainless speed engineering headers and trying my luck by hooking it up to the old mercuriser set up.

But it’s an Aluminum 6.2, dosnt need much cooling, and I’m thinking I can weld up AN lines and run small dual radiators, however it’s gonna be aggravating hearing the fans run constantly.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The water doesn't have to run through the exhaust, it just helps to keep the manifolds cool so they don't melt shit.

I would still use lake water to the water pump and then use another method to dump it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The water doesn't have to run through the exhaust, it just helps to keep the manifolds cool so they don't melt shit.

I would still use lake water to the water pump and then use another method to dump it.
I live in south La in brackish water, and this boat will be just a camp/bar Weekend jumper.

I’m not doubting you at all, but the LS dosnt require the old 165-180 temps of the old mec and Chevy motors

1 - 6 of 6 Posts