GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few small things I want to paint this summer on the truck and quad, and my buddy has an airplane that he wants repainted so we're thinkin about splitting a gun/supplies and doin everything. I know the bare basics of painting but am kinda lookin for some tips on what gun to get (somethin in the 100-200 range), etc. Really just kinda wantin to know what I"m gettin into I guess.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, so far I've researched a few different gun sets and had it narrowed down to a gravity feed HVLP one, just not sure which to get. As for a few accessories I've thought of already, need an in-line air filter of some kind, air regulator, and that's all I have for now.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
dupont is a good base paint, and you could buy nason clear which is also made by dupont, its pretty cheap

·
TurtlePusher
500 Posts
buy one of the DeVilbiss Startingline gun kit from Eastwoods, they are under $200 and come with 2 guns i think.

·
GMC & IROC-Z
348 Posts
I have a DeVillbiss GTiMillenium, works great but between 200-300. You can probably get a decent used one off ebay, ive seen Satajet guns go for under 200 used. The better the gun the more fine tuning you can do. I have an uncle that can use an $80 gun and get a better job than an associate of mine with a $400+ digital gun. Just take your time. Good Luck. Let us see the finished product.

Agree with DRPDSHRTY, not a bad deal for a first time set.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
Ive used chromabase on 3 cars and a boat, single stage, I fucking love the shit. its made by dupont.

Now I bought a jeep and did some body repairs, and recently shot my first two stage paint. I again used dupont, some different thing than chromabase, but cant recall the name.

So I am definately recommending Dupont paints. As far as a gun, I agree with Drew, use a Devilbiss.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
my boss has an older devilbiss gun and he just got a new sata 3000, it was like 600 or something, it lays out clear so nice

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I've looked at some of the devilbiss guns and they seem to have a good starter's kit type deal. That chromabase single stage sounds sweet...might have to look into that, but as for the PPG I should be able to get it for a decent price at the O'Reilley's in town, I know a few ppl there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I've heard of the Eastwoods before so I'll check that out.

The dupont website has alot of good info on mixing/drying/etc. stuff for their paint but it's a PITA to find paint codes...guess I'll just have to do that at a retailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts