GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ol' lady's car is throwing a code for Bank 1 Sensor 1 efficiency and I have heard a few people over the years say they've cleaned an oxygen sensor with carb cleaner to get a little more life out of it if it's throwing the code because of too much shit build up on it. It's an 04 Grand Am with 32,000 miles on it I suspect it probably will not work but being that I'm curious I am going to try it.

Anyone ever heard of this? I know, I'm not expecting it to work at all, but I just thought I'd give it a shot for shits and giggles.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well you have to think further upstream... what will cause the O2 to read out of range? Lazy injector? Vac leak? FPR?

Also, people fail to consider HOURS when dealing with maintenance not just mileage. I have cars I put MAYBE 1000 miles on per year... does that mean I do not change the oil as I have not come to 3000? Fuck no, I generally change oil twice a year. Spring and Fall... or March and September usually.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
lol i did it on my old 90 with a 350 tbi. Wheni sold the truck it had almost 200k on it and i dont think they were ever changed. Took them out and they looked bad. My dad had some muratic (SP?) acid and i quickly dipped them in it. It cleaned some shit off and worked fine

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Post back in a month then three to see if it still works properly. :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts