GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i am undergoing the 80E swap, and the fact that i hate the two piece drive shaft with that carrier bearing relocation bracket crap, i have a local shop that i actually haven't consulted yet. But, just wondering if anyone has an ecsb that has done a 1 piece and about how much it was. Since the truck is lowered, it's like a straight shot to the rear end, so again no point in having 2 piece, just something to blow out now. Figured i would get it done since i'm under the truck right now anyway.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I have one, but my truck is 4wd...

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does 4wd come with a 1 piece or did you have it built?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
4wd's have an extra 18"s of t-case sucking up driveshaft length. Much past 60"'s and driveshafts become hard to balance as the shaft will bow in the middle ever so slightly. I went to a 2 pecie rear shaft form a 1 peice myself. There's nothing wrong with that carrier bearing, its there for a reason.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It is 1 piece because it is driven off the transfer case making it a lot shorter then yours ..

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yup, my Ford has a two piece shaft and is 2x4 in ECSB form.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i still want a 1 piece made, just don't see the need for the 2 piecer

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
eh, just run with what you got. personally in a truck that long, theres NOTHIGN wrong with a 2 piece shaft. You can MUCH more easily balance both pieces than one long piece.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I had a custom 1 pc. shaft cut for my rclb when I 'bagged it. The diameter of the stocker was too big, and hit the bottom of my cab when I dropped the truck. I think the new one cost me around $250.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, good to know about a price range chevyman

·
Registered
124 Posts
Both my 07 sub, and my 07 cc have one piece shafts from the factory.

You might see if you can find one in a 06 at a salvage yard in a ec.

Four2fight

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
DONT get a one piece made at that length....

I'll tell you why. Get a long dowell rod. I mean LONG (get an un-cut one).... grab it at the ends and spin it. see what it does in the middle? it flexes and the center axis of the dowell moves around. same principle as a long driveshaft. with the speeds those things turn, it has to be PERFECTLY balanced or it will be unsafe and shake the hell out of your truck.

-now, cut that dowell in half. do the same thing. the shorter section of rod will not want to wobble and move around on you like the long section. Thats why they use two shorter driveshafts, instead of one longer one.

Carrier bearings do not make it any less strong. I'm putting easily over 500lbft of tq to the wheels and there are many people making much more than me on stock two pieces. The only thing I have had problems with is U-joints..... thats because they kept giving me the wrong ones...

Even a driveshaft with a bigger diameter will not help. its just worse. Aftermarket driveshaft makers, Denny's driveshaft etc etc... will not even built it, there's the reason.

PS, even with a 2 piece DS, I still run a loop.

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
From what I have found, I think the distnance between yokes on a ecsb and a ccssb are the same. Why the ec uses a two piece shaft and the cc using a 1 piece is beyond me.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
do you have any measurements on that?? I thought about this too but for some reason it wouldnt work, I cant recall why right now though...

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I'm waiting on a phone call back from high angle driveline right now.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
just like Denny's... high angle WILL NOT build something that long as I stated... he recommended going to 1350's (duh) and swapping the slip joint in the center for a CV....

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info guys, i appreciate it. I'm just gonna stick with the stocker 2 piece, i'm so out of money as it is. The tranny is shipping out from finishline on Monday, and i'm buying the Yank tonight, so i'll let you guys know how the conversion goes. I'm gonna post all pics and everything and describe how it went, problems and what not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts