GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my pass side cv shaft the other day with one from advance auto. It was an aftermarket brand same as napa I believe, but I think it might be shorter somehow or something. If you have the truck jacked up in the center of the truck with both front wheels at full drop, the tires still should spin freely even if the trucks cv angles are at full drop right? I never had an issue like this until I put this cv shaft in there. I wonder if they gave me the wrong one? Because the pass side one will spin about 2 inches then catch or hang up and not let it make a full revolution at a full drop. Its at a full drop with the worst it could ever be jacked up but it should still move still huh?:hmm:

·
Team White!
446 Posts
My factory ones will do about one-two turns and then lock up, i dont know, they may be going bad or something?

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they are just short somehow.... Its just like they are binding up even though its on a jackstand. Full drop is the most extreme it can get but it still should turn a full revolution ya know.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They should spin freely.
Thought so. My dad pointed that out to me after the issue started. I just think I will end up replacing it again with a factory one. I just thought the old ones in there were so worn out that it allowed so slack in it but after thinking about it, factory it spins freely stock so why not mine.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone else have this happen on there truck?

·
Team White!
446 Posts
yeah, now i'm curious! Mine only have minor cranking too?

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so does mine but even if the were cranked up all the way, they still never get any worse than a full drop so it still should spin freely even cranked up all they way.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
i run the same ones from them.

I think its like 70 bucks with a core, i got the cheapest one they had with the lifetime warranty. i havent had any issues, except snapping them!

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
You still have the factory one? Compare one factory with the one having problems (in length). To do this, when you compare the lengths make sure they are both fully compressed and stand them up side by side. You should be able to eye-ball them and see a difference.

It may be that when they rebuild them the race/cage/joint wern't properly honed out and it is binding because of that.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
After re-reading your post..... If the axle was short the inner joint would mearly pull out and start twisting the boot around. It would not cause binding. SO, something else must be binding. Like I said before, it may not have been properly honed out.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your prob right, It has never done it until I changed it out with a new one. I guess I got the 1 in 5 bad ones lol

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
your prob right, It has never done it until I changed it out with a new one. I guess I got the 1 in 5 bad ones lol
I wouldn't think it will really hurt anything unless it is binding really bad. When you jack it up and spin it, when it stops, can you turn it through the bind? Or is it stuck for good?

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, its stuck pretty good. It won'tgo any further unless i break something.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Oh.... That does not sound good then. You may want to pull that CV out and check everything out closely. Swivel each joint around by hand with it out and see if you can find a bind in it by doing that. If something seems wrong take it back and see if you can't have them replace it. Also, while it is out and the truck is jacked up, check then to make double sure it spins with it removed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts