GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a chevy man for sure but ever since I took a badass ride in a lightning I have kinda wanted to get one but I would rather take a single cab chevy and beat it but what would it take? I am wondering if a single cab 5.3L with full bolt ons and a charger would kill them?:think:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah but the Lightning has a 3/4 ton rear axle stock and a 4R100 trans (think 9.5" SF and 80E) so it can hold some decent power and torque stock. Not what a 1500 will...........

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
build 4l80e, lq4, and STS turbo kit. There's a few other things like tuning, 918 springs, rod bolts, etc, but that's the cheapest way to beat them and hit 10's doing it in a single cab.

I basically just described WildRacing's truck but he has an extended cab and ran a 11.41

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dam. Why does gm refuse to build a race truck besides the gibbs truck? I was looking but didn't the gibbs truck have a charger 4.8L?

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
dam. Why does gm refuse to build a race truck besides the gibbs truck? I was looking but didn't the gibbs truck have a charger 4.8L?
Some did, some didnt. The best Joe Gibbs had a Radix on a 4.8 with a 5 speed. Some are autos with no charger; only 20's and the other Joe Gibbs appearance stuff.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
*cough*Typhoon*cough*Cyclone*cough*...damn cold...

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know about those but I was looking at something newer. I know those had a V6 also but they ran there ass off! Why would gm put that on a 4.8L instead of a 5.3 or 6.0?

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
I keep up w/ my buddy's harley F150 with a lightning tune...

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
So how much those are going for now?:crazy: Wish I had one...
Not really as much as you may think...I see them around the 6-8k range for a stocker will 100k.

Cameron

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I never really ran into many with my old truck that have me any problems - 02 RCSB Silverado - 6.0L swap, small cam, stall, bolt-ons and a little nitrous.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I raced and beat an older style one , when he caught up 2 lights later asked me how i hooked up so good ...................i said AWD with a supercharger

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I know about those but I was looking at something newer. I know those had a V6 also but they ran there ass off! Why would gm put that on a 4.8L instead of a 5.3 or 6.0?
GM did not build those trucks. Joe Gibbs performance built them. They were licensed by GM to build them. And you could get a 5.3 with a radix, but only in auto. If you want a stick it had to be 4.8.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I can beat stock lightnings and some modified ones. It cost money to run with them because shit breaks in the chevys, trans rears go often.

For the price, it is better to buy the more stout lightning.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
i beat em to the gas station all day long.
Wouldn't this statement mean that you get worse gas mileage than lightnings?:think:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts