GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was just wondering is anyone on here runs 2 vehicles as in a pickup and beater commuter. I was wondering if you have found it to be worth the hassle/financial benefit (if there is any). Right now I drive about 85miles/day and am looking to upgrade to a MY10 or newer in the spring and hate the thought of racking up tons of miles on it.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
When I was in college I was having trouble affording the gas for my lifted truck, so I bought a beater (~$2k Saturn POS). The beater got very good gas mileage, and it was my dd 95% of the time. I'd drive my truck ever once in a while.

My vote is, yes it's worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my new silverado in 08 with 6 miles in it. I drove and still drive the piss out of it. I didn't spend my hard earned money on a truck I wasn't gonna drive around. It currently has 120,000 miles on it.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
Have for years. Ended up selling the truck because I never drove it. but it's been a long time since I have only had 2. I am at 5 so having mutiple is normal for me

·
Registered
176 Posts
My 2500 HD GMC work truck is poor on gas 13-14 mph, so I bought a car that got 20 mpg and kept the truck - all said & done the cost to buy the car, insurance, depreciation, ... it worked out cheaper to just have the truck (for me anyway-car now sold) The truck for work plus snow plowing & towing my boat is so versatile - and it's a luxury truck as well - 2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT Extended with heated leather / nav ... so I just spend $8000 on gas a year (35,000 miles) and suck it up - but love the truck

and buy a new truck every 3-4 years

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
I bought a 99 accord for $2500 back in August and love it. Been well worth it in my situation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have my 03 1500HD. Then have my 03 trailblazer that I drive.

Then we have my Ol lady's 01 Honda for the gas saver. 33$ to fill up as last awhile.

I gotta have at least one extra car no netter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ive thought about it but I too love driving my truck more than saving pennies with a beater car. I get my savings in the summer with either a motorcycle or riding my pedal bike to work.

·
professional grade
4,149 Posts
I have my 2011 sierra and a 99 civic. Spending $50-75 a month in Gas vs $300 is a wayyy better deal. Most importantly, my truck stays in the garage so it's always clean. Spending 2-3 hours once a week washing your truck for the weekend gets old.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i got the truck 16ish mpg, a 96 geo tracker " hunting rigg" 25-27 mpg and the old lady has a "13 charger 29 mpg

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
i've got a 94 civic i picked up for $400. needed about another $500 to get it running then i've put about $2k over the past 3 years. thats including the full engine rebuild i'm doing right now, adding a full a/c system, all suspension bushings, a brand new rebuilt transmission, and some front end parts. been down for about 4 months but hoping to get it running again this month.

was getting 38-45 mpg before the engine rebuild. hoping to clear 50mpgs all day long after the rebuild.

sure $3k could buy me a lot of gas, but the car is MUCH easier to drive up and down the highway and to park.

also, the civic vx is a pretty rare and sought after item. not many left that haven't been riced out, engine swapped, or trashed.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
I had a truck ('01 rcsb) and an '01 Z28 Camaro, the Camaro was fun to drive and got great mpg plus it kept the miles off my truck. Got tired of the car and missed driving my truck so I got another '03 GMC to drive, had a lifted '10 F150 at the time so the '03 was a daily/beater. For me I just enjoy driving a truck better, ended up with a rcsb NNBS that gets around 22 mpg with a 5.3 and I just daily it while the NBS stays in the garage. If you do a lot of driving I like the idea of having another vehicle but get something you enjoy, I'm backwards from most as I'd prefer something like a C6 Corvette for a daily with a truck for the weekends. Either way, the daily would have to be super cheap and/or get really good gas mileage for it to make financial sense so I have to justify it in other ways.

·
Multiple GMFS owner
2,098 Posts
I had 88 GMC shitbag project, 04 impala DD(also shitbag but BAMF stereo), wife's 06 Trailblazer, 05 Jeep Rubicon for a toy at the same time. Yes 2 cars is fine, have since sold the impala because I car pool.

·
GMFS Member
20 Posts
I commute ~120 mile a day so I bought a 2012 Cruze Eco to save on gas. It gets 45 mpg compared to 15 mpg for the truck. The amount I saved in gas made the car payments and paid the insurance so really I broke even. But its nice to have an extra vehicle and it saves miles on the truck. If I could do it over again, I would have bought a cheaper car.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Ive got 2 cars that are projects and my truck thats my Daily. Im debating buying a couple year old AWD car ( CTS-4 or Fusion) since it would probably save me money. Truck costs me $550 a month to drive between Gas and Insurance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Umm look down Lol!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts