GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone here is running some Limiting Straps up front on their truck?

I've got an '02 GMC Sierra 1500 and just installed some Cognito UCA's and Dual Shock hoop w/ Fox shocks... with BDS 6.5" High-clearance lift (I know, not full-drop, but not the point of the thread, already done and installed).

Anyway, when the truck is up in the air now the CV shaft's (new OE) bind and the wheel doesn't rotate. They are just about perfectly level when set down on it's own weight, but, If I catch any sort of air I'll more than likely snap a shaft and then everything hits the fan!

So... anyone else here run into this issue?
I could go for those RCV shafts, but damn, I'm not about to take out a loan for some at this point...

If you are running some limiting straps, where did you pick them up, and more importantly, where are they installed? I didn't see any great spots that jumped right out, except possibly the now empty stock shock mounting points, what'ya think?

Just looking for some solid input here, all tips and info are much appreciated.
Thanks.

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
I run them. Your CVs shouldnt be binding with the truck off the ground. I had one do that to me and replaced it.

Heres pics of my setup. I got the straps through Chad at Cognito but you can find them elsewhere.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
I run them. Your CVs shouldnt be binding with the truck off the ground. I had one do that to me and replaced it.

Heres pics of my setup. I got the straps through Chad at Cognito but you can find them elsewhere.

Your suspension setup is so perfect :drool:

im going to be getting some for my NNBS here shortly.
Thats a good idea.. you don't want your CVs binding up out in the dunes

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
why dont you go hang out with your haggard torn up truck :crazy:
:bird: haggard torn up truck that still doesnt have fox shocks installed :crazy:

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
well shit, i missed part of it. i cant believe you dont have those damn shocks on yet, what are you missing?
the metal sleeves that go inside of the bushings

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
the metal sleeves for the side of the uniball? or did you get the uniball swapped out for a bushing?
I got the heim eyelets pressed out and got rubber bushings but I have no sleeves for the rubber (lol)

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I'd purchase them from Polyperformance, I didn't due to lack of supply in the length I needed at the time. For me it was really easy to just weld a 1/2-20 G8 bolt (even if I killed the temper and hardened it more in doing so) to my bump mount on my axle and on the frame.

Link07-3.jpg

Generally shorter is better as you can more accurately estimate full length under load. IIRC it's about an inch of stretch for every 12-15" of strap. Obviously this is less than perfect and by multiplying the error you get a larger tolerance.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
i've been thinkin about some so that i can take off the swaybar and get a few inches of flex offroad, without binding cv's. not sure how to go about the upper mount though.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Thats what I was thinking about doing kyle just welding some bolts on to my frame... But my luck i would just rip a hole in my frame lol

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Thats what I was thinking about doing kyle just welding some bolts on to my frame... But my luck i would just rip a hole in my frame lol
we're talking about limiting straps for 4WDs mmkay :kiss:

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
I dont understand the pint on a IFS truck. The UCAs have a droop stop. Why the need of a strap?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Because when the suspension is on the droop stop, shits binding.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
I dont understand the pint on a IFS truck. The UCAs have a droop stop. Why the need of a strap?
I've got an '02 GMC Sierra 1500 and just installed some Cognito UCA's and Dual Shock hoop w/ Fox shocks... with BDS 6.5" High-clearance lift (I know, not full-drop, but not the point of the thread, already done and installed).

Anyway, when the truck is up in the air now the CV shaft's (new OE) bind and the wheel doesn't rotate. They are just about perfectly level when set down on it's own weight, but, If I catch any sort of air I'll more than likely snap a shaft and then everything hits the fan!
:insane:

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
put a bigger bump stop for the upper control arm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts