GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, Im going to post this here since yall know axles the best. Does anyone know the width (hub surface to hub surface) of a late model ford truck axle that has 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and disk brakes? I need an axle for my project truck that has a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, disk brakes, and around 62" wide hub to hub...

Thanks

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
First thought that comes to mind is explorers...they would be appropriate width, but i think have a smaller bolt pattern. they are also 8.8" rear ends, so somewhat beefy...

edit: it looks liek they are 5x5...

lemme see what a widetrack d44 rear end out of a jeep is...the fullsize axles are gonna all be too wide i believe...BTW, you are asking for a lot out of a rear end. ima keep checking to see what i can come up with.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Explorers have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I think the newer Fords went to a metric 5 lug bolt pattern until '04 when they switched to a six lug. You might could use the '80-'96 rear axle but I'm not real sure of the width.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I know at somepoint they were 5 on 5.5. So what ever year range that is...I need the hub to hub width of one with disks...

and I know Im asking alot out of a rear end, which is why I am post whoring this all over everywhere try to find a solution...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
the 5x5.5 rear axles were in the like 70's-96 full size trucks and broncos so they are full width and no disk breaks. i don't know of a rear 5x5.5 with disks from the factory.

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
You could run one of the explorer 8.8's and put wheelspacer/adapters on to get the 5x5.5

I know AFW uses them in the back of most of their jeeps and they have a preety decent amount of upgrades for them.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no wants to have 10 lug nuts on the back of my truck. I think I may have found a 12 bolt for super cheap, still dont know what Im going to do though.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I have no wants to have 10 lug nuts on the back of my truck. I think I may have found a 12 bolt for super cheap, still dont know what Im going to do though.
yeah, then theres really not any other choice for ford axles...or anything that i know of similar. You are either gonna have to take an old truck/bronco axle and add discs or shorten up a newer one it looks like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts