GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, like the title asks, I'm wondering if anyone on here has fitted a 99-02 Silverado HD hood onto a GMC Sierra (mines a 2002 to be specific).

I've seen quite a few examples, one that comes to mind was owned by user here named bgray, and it looked very stout. I honestly think those hoods look better on the Sierras, how the high rise nose matches the grill area of the GMC better... but just my opinion.

So, I need to find out what is involved with getting it to fit the GMC properly. I know it will need to be cut above the larger headlamps of the Sierra, but I've read some places that vaguely mention that welding is required, which I'm not prepared to do.

I have a nice condition 2002 Silverado HD hood already in my pole barn, so I could just start cutting away with the wheel and find out how it fits, but if something does need to be welded or reinforced, I'd like to see some examples or photos, or at least some tips.

Please fill me in! Looking for some input.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm having mine cut tomorrow at a local body shop. I'll try to have them get pics as they do it.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
i'm throwing a total blank on his name but dude has a white reg cab stepside gmc with one on it.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's quite a unique conversion there.... not sure what to think of it... the tahorado n/nbs... Not really what I'm aiming for though, mine's an NBS and going to stay NBS.
If I had better internet to upload photos, I'd post some to give a better effect.

Yeah, bub, the user's name I think you're trying to remember is bgray, which I mentioned in the first post. I really dig his truck and have the photo saved in my pictures.
I might have to look up HRC.

GMCjj, that would be EXCELLENT if you could catch some photos or tips from your body shop when they do it for you!! I'm going to try to do this myself if no major welding is involved.
I've got a fiberglass hood right now, and although it isn't too bad looking and it's nice and light, I just think the HD hood will look much meaner.

·
Smiggles
3,493 Posts
I heard you just have to round or cut out where the lights will be

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard you just have to round or cut out where the lights will be
yes, simply put, I believe that is all that needs to be done essentially.

But I'm trying to clarify, and hopefully get some photos of what it will look like underneath after the cutting.
I've heard that welding may be needed to seal something up, or help support it, which I'm not sure about at this point. Looking at the HD hood I've got right now I can't quite tell how much cutting will be needed, or if it will leave a large opening underneath for debris to pack up into, or rust to develop prematurely or something to that effect... I want to try to do this right, as if it were something from the factory, not just a quick cut job that will cause other problems.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Step 1: Bolt the hood on at the hinges.
Step 2: Heat up the edge really well.
Step 3: Slam it down hard. It will mold itself to the headlights.

:crazy:

·
GroundeD 4 LifE
1,234 Posts
lmfao haha at the steps stated above

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
Wonder if you could cut the leading edge off the GMC hood and graft it to the HD hood to get the proper lines. Like maybe an inch back from the leading edge, weld it and smooth it together. Subscribing, as i like the look too. I noticed there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of difference between a regular Sierra hood and an HD Sierra hood.

·
I am Tom Slick
6,613 Posts
Wonder if you could cut the leading edge off the GMC hood and graft it to the HD hood to get the proper lines. Like maybe an inch back from the leading edge, weld it and smooth it together. Subscribing, as i like the look too. I noticed there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of difference between a regular Sierra hood and an HD Sierra hood.
there is no difference, the Silverado HD's are what came with the bigger hood

grafting the 2 hoods makes for alot more work than is needed, all they do is cut for the shape of the taller GMC headlights and weld in the seams on the underside and finish it

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Step 1: Bolt the hood on at the hinges.
Step 2: Heat up the edge really well.
Step 3: Slam it down hard. It will mold itself to the headlights.

:crazy:
...already tried that and it didn't work so I didn't mention it... :killer:

I think the graft idea would be waaaaay more work than should be involved.

Thanks for posting those photos Spugen, some good ones there that I haven't seen.
Gold one there looks primo, nice angle.

If I get time this weekend I might try to bolt it up just to see how I can fit it without the headlights in.

I was thinking of trying to make a template out of thick paper of the curve from the original Sierra hood, then mark that out on the HD hood before cutting.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts