GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever made their own rubber or plastic inner fenders for their truck?

I'm now running some glassworks unlimited fenders and bedsides so the factory plastic liner does not fit very well now. I really don't want to get my fenders all packed up with shit and debris, especially not in the winter... so I'm looking at making some inner fender liner sections to cover up the open space just a bit.

Was thinking of using some sort of a plastic or somewhat stiff rubber.
Anyone know of a good source for rolls of material like that?
I'm not looking to make any works of art here, just something simple that I can put in there, keep it low key, and clip it or bolt it in there easily but will keep a majority of the shit out of the places it shouldn't be.

Give me some ideas, or please post up some photos you may have! Any tips are much appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try the plastic pond liner material ..
they should sell it at lowes or home depot

I used it as gap guards for my last suv with a bodylift and it worked great

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try the plastic pond liner material ..
they should sell it at lowes or home depot

I used it as gap guards for my last suv with a bodylift and it worked great
thanks for the idea, I'll have to swing by a Home Repo and see what they've got that might work.

Is this pond liner material stiff enough? Or will it flap in the wind at high speed unless I reinforce it? I might be thinking of something different...
I'm looking for something with similar qualities as the factory inner fender liners, so I can just form it a bit, cut it to size, then fasten it in without much worry about it flapping around...
or, I might even be able to work with some material that is similar to a mudflap, but I don't want anything too heavy.
I have a bunch of rolls of aluminum in my pole barn, which I was originally thinking of trying to use, but I think that would be waaaay too loud, especially since I live on dirt roads...

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks for the idea, I'll have to swing by a Home Repo and see what they've got that might work.

Is this pond liner material stiff enough? Or will it flap in the wind at high speed unless I reinforce it? I might be thinking of something different...
I'm looking for something with similar qualities as the factory inner fender liners, so I can just form it a bit, cut it to size, then fasten it in without much worry about it flapping around...
or, I might even be able to work with some material that is similar to a mudflap, but I don't want anything too heavy.
I have a bunch of rolls of aluminum in my pole barn, which I was originally thinking of trying to use, but I think that would be waaaay too loud, especially since I live on dirt roads...
haha yeah I dont know how good of an idea aluminum would be..
but i didnt really have to form mine as it was just a rectangle piece..but it seems like it would be possible to mold it a little bit if done right..

i do know one thing though, they cleaned really easy..not much stuck to em and they looked pretty good too

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yeah I dont know how good of an idea aluminum would be..
but i didnt really have to form mine as it was just a rectangle piece..but it seems like it would be possible to mold it a little bit if done right..

i do know one thing though, they cleaned really easy..not much stuck to em and they looked pretty good too

yeah, aluminum is out of the picture...

And sorry for the confusion, but I didn't mean I was going to attempt to form mine in 3 dimensions, with heat or anything of that nature, too unpredictable for me on this project.... But, what I did mean was just forming it in like 2 dimensions I guess you could say, or just more or less rolling it around the wheelwell around the tire, and cutting it to shape to fit that way and clear anything necessary. Basically just like a mini-tub made out of rubber or plastic, and fastened with plastic clips or screws.
See what I'm saying?

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah, aluminum is out of the picture...

And sorry for the confusion, but I didn't mean I was going to attempt to form mine in 3 dimensions, with heat or anything of that nature, too unpredictable for me on this project.... But, what I did mean was just forming it in like 2 dimensions I guess you could say, or just more or less rolling it around the wheelwell around the tire, and cutting it to shape to fit that way and clear anything necessary. Basically just like a mini-tub made out of rubber or plastic, and fastened with plastic clips or screws.
See what I'm saying?
Yeah now I think I understand..you should definately be able to do that....the stuff i'm talking about is really flexable

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
the home depot route is your best bet that plastic is really thick like 1/8" so you're good

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmm, stopped by a Home Depot earlier today and took a look around. Not that I ever walk into that place with high hopes in the first place, but today was even more disappointing.

Found that "pond liner" stuff... all that is is just like a heavy duty tarp?? Is that what you were talking about? Definitely not going to work in my case. Driving down the expressway it'll look like I ran over batman and his cape is all hung up in my wheelwell.
Closest thing I saw to what I'm kind of looking for is the rubber/plastic edging for around gardens/trees. But it's not nearly wide enough.

Talked to a local body shop briefly about it too and they really didn't know where to find the material either... although they brought up the idea that maybe a local siding place might know, might be able to source some rolls of thin black vinyl or something. I'll have to look into it unless someone else has a good idea.

Damn, this is turning out about 10X harder than I expected just to find the material I need to begin with!

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
my friend does polymer science so he orders from places like that all the time i need to ask him what you specifically need but as far as i can recall you're looking for a polyvinyl (PVA) sheet in like quarter inch thickness max and then you can shape it with a small torch

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my friend does polymer science so he orders from places like that all the time i need to ask him what you specifically need but as far as i can recall you're looking for a polyvinyl (PVA) sheet in like quarter inch thickness max and then you can shape it with a small torch
oh ok, maybe I should hold of so I don't impulse buy then. I was looking at the PVC, in like you said, 1/4" or less...

Damn, that's some expensive stuff too... might be around $450+ (depending on shipping too) for all 4 wheelwells if I get the stuff I was just looking at! :lazer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts