GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator in our 99 obs tahoe is going out and needs replacing soon. I have the stock 105A alternator out of my 04 Silverado that looks like would fit physically but the electric plugs on them are different.

I can get a pigtail for the newer alternator but what i am wondering about is the number of wires. The OBS connector only has one wire going to it whereas the alternator off the 04 has three wires going to it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link but it looks like everyone there has the same plug nbs and obs :think: My obs has a different plug.

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
I have the adaptor plug you need. Ill send you a PM with price when I get to the shop.

Im actually running an OBS unit like that in my NBS Sierra LOL. We have been doing some R&D and have all kinds of adaptors available......:ninja:

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome thanks! So I dont need the pigtail from the newer truck with the adapter? I also need a new pulley for my 105A alternator if you have one of those. Unless I can reuse the one off the obs alt?

·
OEF/OIF USMC
476 Posts
I have the adaptor plug you need. Ill send you a PM with price when I get to the shop.

Im actually running an OBS unit like that in my NBS Sierra LOL. We have been doing some R&D and have all kinds of adaptors available......:ninja:
interested in said adapters. so this makes it plug and play for me to run an obs 160amp in my nbs(2001)silvy?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found out today that the tahoe alternator is 140A from the factory. The one off my 04 is 105A. Is it okay to downsize?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Yes, as long as you don't tow and hook up added lights. However, with all acc. on and headlights on, you may notice the lights dim at idle and the voltage drop some. Older s-10 trucks used 60 amp alts. It would be nice to keep the 140 amp, but if saving $$ is the chief priority, then you should be fine.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I've checked around part stores and they are around 200 for the obs alt :nono:

·
OEF/OIF USMC
476 Posts
check out ebay. i found a couple used alts, all 130's for 60.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just picked one up from the wrecker for 55 bucks. Maybe ill look into rebuilding the broken one for a spare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts